Sapphire HD 5670 won't install

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • HD
  • Sapphire
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
September 28, 2010 8:27:33 PM

Hello, I have the same problem many have had regarding this card, i.e., the Sapphire HD 5670 is not recognized/won't install. The computer boots up, but the screen is blank. The fan on the video card spins, but aside from that, nothing. The on-board graphics work, and when I insert a different graphics card, a HD 3650, it is recognized just fine. I did all the usual stuff, completely uninstalling other drivers and software, etc... I assumed it was a faulty card and RMA'd it for a refund. But having seen several people with similar experiences, I wonder whether it was defective. I haven't seen any real solutions.

My new motherboard is a Biostar 945GC-M4 which is resurrecting a 3.0 Ghz P4HT. Other system components are: WD Black 750 gb sata hd, 2 optical drives, M-Audio 2496 sound card, 3 gb ddr2 RAM, Windows XP Home 32 bit, power supply is an Enermax 350 watt with 26A on the +12V rail. PS to MB connector is 20 pin with a 20-24 pin adapter. P4 2x2 connector is connected to MB. Online PSU calculator says 350 watts is plenty for this configuration (with 65 watts to spare), although the recommended PSU for the HD 5670 is 400 watts). I thought the pcie-x16 on this MB was 2.0, but now that I look at the box it doesn't say if it is or isn't. I seem to remember seeing where someone said the ATI's have some backward compatibility issues--maybe that's the problem?

I was going to re-purchase this card, but I would like to determine for sure if it will work or if I should go with a lesser/different card (in which case maybe someone could give a recommendation for something appropriate for this system). I liked this one, because I would be able use it in some future system upgrade. Not quite ready yet to build a whole new system though.

One other thing: I would have just just used the Diamond HD 3650 I mentioned before, but it had a problem with flickering, and it was VERY noisy. What I liked about the Sapphire HD 5670 was that it had better specs, and it runs cool and quiet. I may not need as much as the 5670 has to offer, but the on-board graphics (Intel 945) do not really cut it.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

Thank you.

More about : sapphire 5670 install

October 19, 2010 3:32:20 AM

You need to manually update the BIOS with the beta version listed on BIOSTAR's website. Download it and use the flash utility to manually update. I had the same prob with an XFX HD 5450 and I looked and they have one listed as beta and it says "adds ATI 5XXX compatibility." I flashed the BIOS with it and put the card back in after and it came right up with a picture. I have had zero probs now for a month so it should be good and hopefully fixes your problem :) 

Travis
m
l
December 30, 2010 5:10:44 AM

I bought the same card and had a problem with pc lock up when ever I tried to run a game. Dropped in another card and forgot about the 5670...never got around to RMA'ing it. Ill try the BIOS update and see if it helps me. Been a year since purchase from the egg so too late for RMA.
m
l