CPU upgrade?

rami1972

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
Hello,

I would like to get some advices on weather I should upgrade my PC or just buy a new one...

I've bought my PC more than 5 years ago, it has been working great, I got the best components at that time.

The problem I'm facing is that my CPU is too weak to handle the software I'm using (music production softwares).

So I thought I should upgrade my CPU, but it seems like the mother board is so old that I have to upgrade it too... then I'll have to upgrade the RAM and my main concern - my professional sound card won't have the suitable socket for it.

Buying a new computer will make me face the same problem with my sound card.

My hardware details:
Motherboard: DFI nF4
CPU: AMD Athlon 64, 2200 Mhz (11x200) 3500+

What would you guys do? If there any possible way to upgrade this hardware without changing everything or buying a new PC?

Thank you!
Rami

wribbs

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Since you didn't say I'm just going to assume its a legacy PCI sound card. Modern motherboards still have a PCI slot or two usually so you can still use it.

Unfortunately your current system really wouldn't be worthwhile to upgrade but you could still use your case, HDD, DVD, Keyboard, etc if you like so its not a total loss/waste.

rami1972

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
Thank you for the reply, yes I have a legacy PCI sound card.

Looks like now I don't really have a choice, since I tried to improve CPU performance by changing the command rate setting at the BIOS, and after saving changes, my PC wouldn't start at all! The electricity is on, but no option to even use a boot CD!

New PC it is...

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

Hi rami1972 :hello: ...Sounds so simple what I am about to write up here on this post,but have you tried to crash your pc & restart it that way ;) ...Many a times I have had a problem with either a frozen screen or something else & I did not want to wait until it repaired it's self,so I just crashed it & restarted & like usual I would just redo what I was doing before...Whether it was in the bios or somewhere else ;) ...I would not worry about losing any information or if you think that your pc will end up worse than before,because it probably will not be worse than before & you will save time without getting too many head aches :pt1cable: ...Anyway after crashing your pc,just restart it several times again & usually it will rectify it's self with each restart :) ...Only crash once if possible & restart all other times only :) ...Also it could just be your power supply unit that went on the blink & it needs to be replaced ;) ...

rami1972

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
Thank you for the optimism, - Wish I Was Wealthy - , been restarting it for couple of hours - doesn't change... it's the weirdest thing ever... fan and CD are working but nothing happends besides that! Not even an option to get to the BIOS again, no BLEEP sound.

Only option now is to buy a new PC and pray the old Hard Drive will work on it.

Cheers!

Did you reset the Bios by removing the battery on the motherboard this will set it all back to default. This is a common occurrence if you overclock I can't tell you how many times I have had to reset my bios like this it comes with overclocking territory.

Seriously dude your smileys are annoying and you make no sense what so ever. Crash a PC on purpose what do you mean by that? It is always a last resort to shut down like that you will cause more problems in the long run it does not matter how many times you restart it will not fix corrupted system files only way to fix that is to repair the file manually or to just do a reinstall. Please don't be giving bad info like this out just because you do it does not make it right...

Not hard bro its the big round watch battery on the motherboard just pop it out for a minute. Make sure power is unplugged and press power button to release any power stored up in the caps of the power supply.

andrern2000

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
You can try reset the BIOS first. Yes, above advice to remove the BIOS battery is one of ways to reset BIOS (CMOS).

Just unplug the battery. Let it off for 1 minute. Then put it back on. Your BIOS will be resetted.

1965ohio

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Try to get into the BIOS on start and load optimal defaults... but if you can't even get into the BIOS, disconnect your PC from the electric and remove the battery on the motherboard that is about the size of a nickle. Wait 10-15 minutes and put it back. Connect the electric and try to reboot. If it still don't go, maybe some electric was still left in the board even though you removed the battery.

You can get a flashlight and look closely at your motherboard to see if you can locate a little jumper usually near that nickle sized battery. It will usually say something like CLR CMOS. If you see that, disconnect from electric again, switch that little jumper to the opposite pins and remove the battery. After 10 minutes put the jumper back, the battery back and connect it back to the electric.

You should be able so start now, but you will need to enter the BIOS and set the clock and stuff again.

I just mention the reset jumper cause I had 2 DFI boards that must have had a capacitor or something holding juice, cause sometimes removing the battery didn't clear it unless I also shorted the CLR CMOS jumper.