3phase30

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
i bought a

XfX radeon HD 5750

and a

rocketfish gaming 500W PSU

the new PSU works boots up windows without the video card

installed the hd 5750 bootup no video on screen. took it out then booted up again went into bios set it to video PCI-E let it load up windows shut off installed the video card again still nothing removed card checked bios video setting was still on pci-e
im trying to install this on a
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=1127350&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

presario SR1610nx

does anyone know what im doing wrong?

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Have you attached the separate PCI-E vidcard power cable(s)?
My vidcard requires 2 x 6-pin power.
Without that attached you'll get nothing...
Anything above HD5670 needs PCI-E power connection (see, the actual PCI-E slot can supply only ~70W to a vidcard).
Regards

3phase30

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
on my pc spc page i cant find out if the pci-e slot is 1.0 or 2.0 / 2.1 i dont even know if this matters

and does the GDDR5 have to match anything in my pc?

the install guide for the video card says to hook up the two 6 pin connectors but the card only has one slot for a 6 pin

senkasaw

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
yeah, pci-e 1 and 2 are backwards compatible...that shouldn't cause any problems. The video card's memory doesn't really effect anything else on the pc. If the power is connected right I can only think of one other user error :)

This may be a really dumb question, but did you connect the monitor to the motherboard video output and not the video cards output?

You may have a bad card.

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
3phase, do you have you monitor plugged into your card at the back of the pc?

I ask because I made this newbie mistake, and I still do it sometimes. If your motherboard has onboard graphics (it does) you need to remember that you are plugging the monitor into the back of the card, not the motherboard. :)

3phase30

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
yeah im plugging into the dvi on the video card. i wish i was making that mistake

i tried both dvi's on the video card and with the video card hooked up i tried to see if the vga would work no signal on any video port with the video card in.

the PSU pci-e power cable. the cable end that plugs into the PSU is 8-pin on the end that plugs into the video card splits a 6-pin and a 2-pin

and the power cable that came with the video card is 6-pin to two old power connectors for like a old hard drive
i plugged them both in and same results

thinking of going back and getting a different type

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
The chances of having 2 bad gpu's in a row is tiny. If you've tested your psu with both cables it's even less likely to be either your psu or graphics cards.

It's probably a bad mobo, the best way to confirm that would be if you could insert an older card into it. From what you've said I'd be quite surprised if any graphics card worked.

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
The 9800gt consumes a lot more power than a 5750 btw, so it wasn't that your pc can't run that card. It's very strange but I guess you did get 2 bad 5750's. Oh well ATI and your loss is Nvidia's gain this time. ;)

3phase30

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
theres no power port on the video card and it says min system req PSU of 400W or greater from mb
and the 5750 said 500w or greater from psu
so its using more power because its getting it from the motherboard? making the mb run slower?
wondering if i should take back and try a newer geforce

notty22

Distinguished
What do you mean make the m/b run slower ?
You should d/l and run driver cleaner, get rid of all ati drivers, and reinstall new nividia drivers after that.
The gpu driver can drastically effect performance, it the direct hand shake with windows GUI.
Many 1.0 pci-e slots didn't agree with xfx 5 series cards from all the many reports i've read.

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Ok so that means it could actually be a bad psu.

Chances are you got a 9800 green edition card as well, which will be horribly slower than a 5750.

Take it back, ask for another card (Nvidia) that needs a power connector. If it doesn't work then, it's clearly the PSU or the connectors that is broken.

Btw while you are there, you might want to get one of these
pcie-connectors.jpg
or one that fits in your psu (if it's modular).

notty22

Distinguished

NO, what part of the motherboard do you think would run slower ?
Motherboards adhere to atx standards. The main 20+4 pin cable you plug in to the motherboard supplies various voltages 3.3 -5 -12v . Internally the m/b routes up 75 watts to the pci-e slot, xx amount of power to the cpu socket, xx to the ram sockets,xx to the northbridge and south bridge. There are supplementary power connectors to add more amperage(watts) to the cpu socket (4 or 8 pin) and 6 pin to the pci-e connctors.
If the gpu does not need extra power, you don't hook up a connector. It won't slow down your cpu or any other circuits.

3phase30

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010

yeah i tried that with all the cables

3phase30

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010

thanks' now i know =)

3phase30

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010

i got the pny geforce 9800gt xlr8 high performance edition
with the power efficient ( use 30% less power than the standard 9800gt ) < think this is what you mean by green

the PSU came with two of those cables i tried both

3phase30

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010

yep' cause right now it seems laggy i put in a new 320g sata drive and reinstalling a game so i can test

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

Yup that's what I meant by "green". 30% less power means a lot lower clock speed unfortunately so it will definitely be a lot slower than a 5750. It should still be much faster than your onboard graphics though.

TRENDING THREADS