[SOLVED] Remove 'System Partition' from HDD [Laptop SSD + HDD]

jrobet

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
Hi all, I've recently purchased the "MSI GE60-403AU" which comes with the mSata SSD 64GB. It had a pre-installed Windows 8 and I decided to install Windows 7.

Once I booted up with a partitioning tool, I got rid of all partitions in SSD and HDD, (initially did that so when installing Windows 7 it doesn't create that 100mb partition when formatting partitions via Windows 7 installation).

So when I booted up and installed Windows 7. I opened up "Disk Management" and I realised that my HDD didn't have a path! So I gave it one, and tried to format it however it wouldn't because it's seemed as a "System Partition" a part of Windows.

No matter what I do (use Gparted, get rid of the boot from HDD and enable boot for SSD and activate partition.) I still can't get rid of the HDD's System Partition and because of this it wont allow me to format that disk...

I've re-installed tried everything (4 different partitioning tools, Windows 7 recovery and used CMD Diskpart/BOOTREC when i use fixboot i get "element not found")

I'm just totally clueless now. Is this because the MSata can't hold the System partition or is it because of that specific MSATA-SSD i have which came with the laptop?

It's always pushing the HDD to contain some sort of additional partition which doesn't allow me to format it.

Even though I formatted and deleted and created a new partition. After I installed Windows 7, on the "Disk Management" I see HDD's status which is "Healthy(System, Active, Primary Partition)" however, it's only meant to be "Primary Partition".. not System.

Simply I get "Windows cannot format the system partition on this disk" on Disk management. When attempted to format.

Any hints/tips would help and would really appreciate it thank you.

Regards,

jrobet

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
Problem Solved!

I've fixed it. But i've did everything manually the DISKPART command prompt doesn't actually initialise the C: primary drive. For me or the MSI GE60 0ND users. The System Partition isn't 100MB or maybe it is but it's not viewable, in fact it's not a separate partition its a bind with the D:\ drive (HDD). like this:
20120709a.png

I've used a linux distro 3rd party partitioning tool like "Gparted and MiniTool Partition Wizard 7" I've inactivated and activated C:\ i've unchecked the boot flag on D:\ and i've used the W7-recovery-CD and manually created a system partition and copied booting files to C:\ using the following commands:
bcdedit /set {current} device partition=C:
bcdedit /set {current} osdevice partition=C:
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} device partition=C:
bcdedit /set {memdiag} device partition=C:

reg unload HKLM\BCD00000000
robocopy D:\ C:\ bootmgr
robocopy D:\Boot C:\Boot /s

I've restarted the laptop went into BIOS made sure the priority boot was the SSD first. Then booted Gparted software I've deleted the D:\ partition and took out the Gparted CD and Windows finally booted without giving me the "bootmgr is missing" because i've created a boot (system partition) in the C:\ finally I can format do what ever on my D:\ drive which is now independent.

hence, i didn't need to do anything physically (i just purchased the laptop didn't want to void the warranty by screwing through the warranty sticker)