user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Anybody got UT2004 to run under any linux distribution + (!!!)ATI Radeon
9700/9800 or higher videocard?(not other brand, i know nvidia rules
here....)
I tried Fedora core 1-2-3, RH, RH EL, i went through Xfree 4.1.0, 4.2.0,
4.3.0, Xorg 6.8, kernel 2.4, 2.6.....etc.

anybody?..

sid

<I> wrote:

> Anybody got UT2004 to run under any linux distribution + (!!!)ATI Radeon
> 9700/9800 or higher videocard?(not other brand, i know nvidia rules
> here....)
> I tried Fedora core 1-2-3, RH, RH EL, i went through Xfree 4.1.0, 4.2.0,
> 4.3.0, Xorg 6.8, kernel 2.4, 2.6.....etc.
>

> anybody?..

Yes, what problems are you having?

--
sid
RLU 300284 Mdk 10.1 2.6.10

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

the game would not start..i get the slpash screen, then i have to cold
reboot it.
i sent you an email, i hope i got the email address right.

"sid" <sidshouse@thecrap.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> <I> wrote:
>
> > Anybody got UT2004 to run under any linux distribution + (!!!)ATI Radeon
> > 9700/9800 or higher videocard?(not other brand, i know nvidia rules
> > here....)
> > I tried Fedora core 1-2-3, RH, RH EL, i went through Xfree 4.1.0, 4.2.0,
> > 4.3.0, Xorg 6.8, kernel 2.4, 2.6.....etc.
> >

> > anybody?..
>
> Yes, what problems are you having?
>
> --
> sid
> RLU 300284 Mdk 10.1 2.6.10
> My barber's getting very hard of hearing,
> I asked him to make me look like a *count*.....

Trying running from the command line and posting any errors you get. I also
have an ATI card.

I was getting a "Missing Symbols" error because UT2004 was using the wrong
GL library, so I did this:

cd /usr/X11R6/lib
rm -f libGL.so.1
ln -s /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 libGL.so.1

UT2004 now starts like a charm.
--
Matt "JediToren" Pfingsten
GotWookiee? http://www.gotwookiee.com

Trying running from the command line and posting any errors you get. I also
have an ATI card.

I was getting a "Missing Symbols" error because UT2004 was using the wrong
GL library, so I did this:

cd /usr/X11R6/lib
rm -f libGL.so.1
ln -s /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 libGL.so.1

UT2004 now starts like a charm.
--
Matt "JediToren" Pfingsten
GotWookiee? http://www.gotwookiee.com
The Rebel Legion: http://www.rebellegion.com

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

I get no error messages with whiteboxlinux (RHEL), xfree4.3.0., kernel2.4
i get an warning about the qt panel, and this is it.
the games starts, i get the splash screen and when is switched to full
screen, it freezes up , all dead, cold reboot.
Under Fedora, with previos drivers i was the same. With new drivers for
xorg, 6.8, i cand even install the drivers .
I install with -Uh --force, all goes ok, but when i run fglrxinfo after
fgrlxconfig, i still get mesa drivers.
I tried using external agpgart as well, no luck.
My system is: Asus A78NX, 1024 ddr400, Amd Athlon 2500+, Radeon9800Pro.
Sometimes, when i reinstall the drivers, at fglrxinfo i get a missing DRI at
screen0:0.

"Matt Pfingsten" <jeditoren@spamiscrap.gotwookieedotcom.spamiscrap> wrote in
message news:nGLId.89612$zy6.69739@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
> Trying running from the command line and posting any errors you get. I
also
> have an ATI card.
>
> I was getting a "Missing Symbols" error because UT2004 was using the wrong
> GL library, so I did this:
>
> cd /usr/X11R6/lib
> rm -f libGL.so.1
> ln -s /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 libGL.so.1
>
> UT2004 now starts like a charm.
> --
> Matt "JediToren" Pfingsten
> GotWookiee? http://www.gotwookiee.com
> The Rebel Legion: http://www.rebellegion.com

Meltdown

<I> enlightened us with:
> I get no error messages with whiteboxlinux (RHEL), xfree4.3.0.,
> kernel2.4

Try a recent kernel. Why are you sticking to 2.4?

> i get an warning about the qt panel, and this is it.

Never say "I get a warning". Always copy & paste it, or write it down
on a piece of paper and type it _without typos_.

> the games starts, i get the splash screen and when is switched to
> full screen, it freezes up , all dead, cold reboot.

See if it works when starting up windowed instead.

> Under Fedora, with previos drivers i was the same. With new drivers
> for xorg, 6.8, i cand even install the drivers .

But you said you were using xfree, not xorg. What are you using?

> I install with -Uh --force

So you're forcing things. Why? It's asking for trouble!

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

"MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.org.imagination> wrote in message
> Try a recent kernel. Why are you sticking to 2.4?

fedora core 3 comes with 2.6
i used 2.4 for the RHEL, to try something diff.

> > i get an warning about the qt panel, and this is it.

> Never say "I get a warning". Always copy & paste it, or write it down
> on a piece of paper and type it _without typos_.

"The QT based control panel application did not load in any version"

> > the games starts, i get the splash screen and when is switched to
> > full screen, it freezes up , all dead, cold reboot.
>
> See if it works when starting up windowed instead.

cant start windowed, will do the same freeze up

> > Under Fedora, with previos drivers i was the same. With new drivers
> > for xorg, 6.8, i cand even install the drivers .
>
> But you said you were using xfree, not xorg. What are you using?
XFree 4.30 for RHEL and Xorg for fedora.

> > I install with -Uh --force
>
> So you're forcing things. Why? It's asking for trouble!

Installation using RPM

For each of these steps you will have to be logged on as the root user.
1.. cd to the directory containing the ATI Driver rpm package

2.. Issue the following command:
rpm -Uh --force <ati_package_name>.rpm
(from ati.com)

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 22:01:53 -0500, I wrote:

> 2.. Issue the following command:
> rpm -Uh --force <ati_package_name>.rpm
> (from ati.com)

This is very poor Linux practice, unless there is a darn good reason to do
it. I'm apalled that ATI would recommend it. I too struggled with ATI's
in Linux (long ago), and have never looked back since going strictly with
Nvidia's...

I know you provided a "disclaimer" in your original post, regarding the
superiority of Nvidia in the Linux world... If I were you, I'd get what I
could for that ATI on eBay, and buy a real video card. The Nvidia 6800's
are coming down in price (check out the GT model), and I think they just
released the 6200 model line, which should be a great performer at a great
price...

Linux Registered User #327951

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

i know what you are saying.
a $500 videocard with no linux support was the last mistake..;)
i will go nvidia for sure.
but, until then, i can not fork another 2-300 for an upgrade now...
there are some ppl here that ARE able to play this game with ati under
linux...i wonder how.....it is either that they know something that i
dont.......or they are simply lying!
10 posts.....and still not a single step ahead.

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 02:52:32 -0500, I wrote:

> i know what you are saying.
> a $500 videocard with no linux support was the last mistake..;)
> i will go nvidia for sure.
> but, until then, i can not fork another 2-300 for an upgrade now...
> there are some ppl here that ARE able to play this game with ati under
> linux...i wonder how.....it is either that they know something that i
> dont.......or they are simply lying!
> 10 posts.....and still not a single step ahead.

Sorry I can't help you with ATI problems... You might check here:
http://www.linuxquestions.org

The quicker you get an Nvidia, the happier you'll be... ;-) Good luck.

Linux Registered User #327951