Closed

Upgrading 7600 GS, $200 budget

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 29, 2010 12:46:03 AM

I haven't upgraded any of my hardware in a few years, and then went solely on the suggestions of 'the guy at the shop'. My video card failed last night (pretty sure it's the memory), and it was past time to get a better one.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: within a week BUDGET RANGE: $200 After Rebates

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, moderately intensive games like Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age (which i couldn't really play comfortably before anyway)

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS, Raidmax RX-380K

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Pentium D 3.20GHz (2 CPUs), Asus P5LD2 Deluxe mobo, 2 gigs ram

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: i've never bought parts online, so don't have a preference here COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: I've only ever had Nvidia cards, but I'm not married to them

OVERCLOCKING: definitely above my abilities or desires SLI OR CROSSFIRE: unlikely

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1024x768

More about : upgrading 7600 200 budget

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
September 29, 2010 12:57:58 AM

You're only running 11 amps across the 12v rail, and with only 380 watts to work with, You're going to be fairly limited by your power supply.

Get this combo:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And this:

OR

a b U Graphics card
September 29, 2010 12:59:25 AM

Also, just realized that you might get bottlenecked at your RAM or CPU. 2 gigs isn't a lot these days, I'd also advice upgrading to 4gb if you can.

Nice thing about getting these two parts together is if you decide to build a new PC, you can transition these parts with it.
Score
Related resources
September 29, 2010 1:30:32 PM

Thanks, boris, my biggest worry was not really knowing how good my power supply is and how it'll limit me.

And rolli, that's not a bad suggestion, but ultimately my rig is pretty old and cantankerous, so after I've got it functioning again I'm gonna start putting some brainpower into building a new one.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 29, 2010 1:52:11 PM

borisof007 said:
Also, just realized that you might get bottlenecked at your RAM or CPU. 2 gigs isn't a lot these days, I'd also advice upgrading to 4gb if you can.

Nice thing about getting these two parts together is if you decide to build a new PC, you can transition these parts with it.

Actually 2GBs isn't too bad for this system. He has limited room to grow this system due to age and it would be best that he save the money he would spend on an extra 2GB and throw it into a new system once he can afford one. Sometimes it is best just to leave the system as is and save for a new one.

Raptorking - You should go with what your saying and do the least possible to get this system working and then start assembling a new system. You have really started to reach then end of life on this one.
Score
October 9, 2010 12:30:34 AM

Best answer selected by raptorking.
Score
a c 274 U Graphics card
October 9, 2010 8:58:32 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!