Possible Motherboard Issue

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Hello all,

Just thought I'd ask for some advice.

I've acquired some second hand bits of hardware, and I've hooked it all up and when I power it up....

Fan's spinning, hard drives gives a little whir. No output to the monitor/post.

The mobo is a Gigabyte GA-M61PME-S2P

with a athlon x2 245 (I'm informed the kit worked previously, so I imagine the x2 245 chip sitting in an AM2 board has had a bios update)

There is no diagnostic lights on the mobo, and no beeps (though I saw a speak out pins, and tried attaching a speaker, but no output there either)

I've tested all components as working except the motherboard.

My question, are these symptons of a dead motherboard? (last one I had die wouldn't even power the fans).

Just wanna be sure before I open my mouth.

Edit: before anyone adds

I've swapped the ram around different slots etc, tried outputting monitor thru gfx card and onboard gfx.

beenthere

Distinguished
It's very difficult to tell a bad mobo unless it's burned open or you can substitute a known good mobo. You might run thu the diagnostic link below on the chance that it will help you spot the issue. It may be something simple like a 12v power cable to the mobo or something similar. The Gigabyte website lists what CPUs are supported on what model mobos and what BIOS is required.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
ai, I had a quick look on that, I think I'm pretty much covered all that. though I don't have the speaker to diagnose at all.

Guess it was a long shot and trying to see if I missed something obvious.