Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Windows 7 no longer loads after installing AMD Catalyst Drivers

Last response: in Windows 7
November 17, 2011 3:47:31 AM

I hope this is in the right section. I'm at my wits end on this one. After a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, I used windows update to install all the updates available, and then after restarting I install the AMD graphics drivers. Upon rebooting, the system just hangs on the Windows Loading Logo.

What I have done so far:

I have tried the 11.10 and 11.11 drivers, same effect.
I tried just using the driver only and the full catalyst package, both produce the same results.
I have tried installing the drivers supplied by windows, but this process fails with an error code that suggests that I already have drivers in place.
I have used driver sweeper in safe made to get rid of any video drivers before trying to reinstall, but the effect is the same.
After every driver install, I must reboot into safe mood and restore to a previous point to be able to boot back into the full version of windows.

Previous History:

This system was working fine with the 11.10 Catalyst package before reinstalling windows.

Any suggestions, advice, or answers will be very helpful. I sold this system and I am trying to assist the customer via remote assistance and phone, so I will test suggestions as frequently as I can.

Relevant System Specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7 920
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P
Memory: 12gb OCZ DDR3 1600
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1.5 TB
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5970 2gb
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750 watt
November 17, 2011 4:04:11 AM

install your motherboard drivers as well as any service packs before your Graphics Card drivers.
November 17, 2011 4:20:06 AM

Motherboard drivers and service packs are already installed. Everything is fully updated when I install the graphics drivers. When installing the catalyst drivers, the log states that everything completes successfully, but when restarting to complete the installation, Windows hangs.
Related resources
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 17, 2011 4:39:58 AM

Are u booting off of Mobo's HDMI or ATI HDMI?

--------------------
November 17, 2011 4:47:26 AM

I'm booting connected to the 5970, the mobo doesn't have video out.
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 17, 2011 4:51:56 AM

Can your cust do a safe mode boot?
November 17, 2011 5:16:47 AM

Safe boot works normally. I have used it multiple times to go back to previous restore points before installing the Catalyst software.
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 17, 2011 5:20:35 AM

Try this command-line diagnostic utility for power problems. It could be also PSU.
Go to Start > Run, type cmd, then type powercfg -energy
This will generate an HTML file and so check the report for problems.
November 17, 2011 5:40:16 AM

I will try the power diagnostic when I have access to the system again. I doubt that the PSU is bad though, I stress tested everything before sending it out and there were no problems. I think I will have to end up walking the customer through another complete reinstall and then try to install the graphic drivers first.
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 17, 2011 5:53:41 AM

dark-edge said:
I will try the power diagnostic when I have access to the system again. I doubt that the PSU is bad though, I stress tested everything before sending it out and there were no problems. I think I will have to end up walking the customer through another complete reinstall and then try to install the graphic drivers first.

I agree, it great PSU there.
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 17, 2011 6:06:44 AM

Try a start up repair. See if that goes anywhere.
December 9, 2011 10:18:51 PM

Did you ever solve this issue? I'm in the same boat and can't boot windows normally. Safe mode works but that's about it. I uninstalled and drivers and then ran driver sweep. After driver sweep deleted everything amd the windows logo hangs at start up. Can't figure it out,
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
December 9, 2011 10:28:38 PM

Hi Holicxii,

Start your own new thread and make sure that u include as much info as possible : )

If people start to post here for both of u, it will be confusing to everybody.
December 17, 2011 7:43:49 PM

Holicxii said:
Did you ever solve this issue? I'm in the same boat and can't boot windows normally. Safe mode works but that's about it. I uninstalled and drivers and then ran driver sweep. After driver sweep deleted everything amd the windows logo hangs at start up. Can't figure it out,

The card appears to have gone bad during shipping, probably got rattled too much. Swapping with another 5970 resolved the issue. I would recommend a warranty replacement if your card is still covered.
February 15, 2013 8:23:31 PM

A bit late to the party, but for anyone else dealing with this issue...

The original post described my situation exactly. I was at the point where I was believing the hardware was bad, then tried installing the video driver through windows update, and it worked.

I usually never allow windows update to install drivers, as I've seen more problems than cures with it. But it was a last ditch effort for this case.
a b \ Driver
a c 371 $ Windows 7
February 15, 2013 8:24:11 PM

This topic has been closed by SR-71 Blackbird
!