Windows 7 no longer loads after installing AMD Catalyst Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark-edge

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
I hope this is in the right section. I'm at my wits end on this one. After a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, I used windows update to install all the updates available, and then after restarting I install the AMD graphics drivers. Upon rebooting, the system just hangs on the Windows Loading Logo.

What I have done so far:

I have tried the 11.10 and 11.11 drivers, same effect.
I tried just using the driver only and the full catalyst package, both produce the same results.
I have tried installing the drivers supplied by windows, but this process fails with an error code that suggests that I already have drivers in place.
I have used driver sweeper in safe made to get rid of any video drivers before trying to reinstall, but the effect is the same.
After every driver install, I must reboot into safe mood and restore to a previous point to be able to boot back into the full version of windows.

Previous History:

This system was working fine with the 11.10 Catalyst package before reinstalling windows.

Any suggestions, advice, or answers will be very helpful. I sold this system and I am trying to assist the customer via remote assistance and phone, so I will test suggestions as frequently as I can.

Relevant System Specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7 920
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P
Memory: 12gb OCZ DDR3 1600
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1.5 TB
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5970 2gb
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750 watt

dark-edge

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Motherboard drivers and service packs are already installed. Everything is fully updated when I install the graphics drivers. When installing the catalyst drivers, the log states that everything completes successfully, but when restarting to complete the installation, Windows hangs.

dark-edge

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
I will try the power diagnostic when I have access to the system again. I doubt that the PSU is bad though, I stress tested everything before sending it out and there were no problems. I think I will have to end up walking the customer through another complete reinstall and then try to install the graphic drivers first.

I agree, it great PSU there.

Holicxii

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Did you ever solve this issue? I'm in the same boat and can't boot windows normally. Safe mode works but that's about it. I uninstalled and drivers and then ran driver sweep. After driver sweep deleted everything amd the windows logo hangs at start up. Can't figure it out,

dark-edge

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

The card appears to have gone bad during shipping, probably got rattled too much. Swapping with another 5970 resolved the issue. I would recommend a warranty replacement if your card is still covered.

slym

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
A bit late to the party, but for anyone else dealing with this issue...

The original post described my situation exactly. I was at the point where I was believing the hardware was bad, then tried installing the video driver through windows update, and it worked.

I usually never allow windows update to install drivers, as I've seen more problems than cures with it. But it was a last ditch effort for this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.