Issues with my new PC (Phenom II X6 1055T | Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H)

sanjaynelli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
I bought a new PC yesterday and the configuration is as given below:

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T processor
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H rev2.0 motherboard
Corsair 4 GB 1333Mhz DDR3 single memory module
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB SATA HDD
Sony 24X SATA DVD Writer
Corsair 600W SMPS (GS600)
20 inch Samsung LCD Monitor (B2030)
Microsoft Wired Keyboard/Mouse Combo
Altec Lansing Speakers
APC 600VA UPS

I'm having 2 wierd issues.

1] Everytime I try to install Windows 7 64 bit version it fails. Most of the time the computer reboots with BSOD and few times it just reboots without any errors or blue screen. I have tried installing Windows many times but without any luck. As part of troubleshooting I have tried to reconnect all the cables properly and remove the memory module from the white slot and put it in the blue slot. I also upgraded the bios to FE (mb_bios_ga-890gpa-ud3h_v2.x_fe) without any issues.

2] My USB mouse is not detected by the setup. I have tried to change the USB port but without any luck. If I attach the mouse to the USB port on my laptop it works just fine.

I'm not sure whats going on here. I'm extremely dissapointed and I'm desperately look for help.

Regards,
Sanjay.

Hello Sanjay,

If you don't have any other RAM to test I would suggest going in to the BIOS and manually adjusting all the memory related settings. Verify the model number on the RAM module and look it up on the Corsair site to get the right settings.

Choose loose timings and SLIGHTLY generous voltage.

Other things to try:

Do not use the UPS, in case it is de-stabilizing the PSU.

Try a different CPU, if you happen to have one available.

Update the firmware on the HDD if available.

sanjaynelli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Thanks for replying Proximon.

First of all I haven't connected the UPS to my system as I had to charge it for 10 hours.

BTW I have Corsair 4 GB XMS3 DDR3 1333Mhz memory module and the model number is CMX4GX3M1A1333C9. Is it compatible with my system?

Secondly I'm too scared to make any manual changes in BIOS as it may damage the motherboard or the RAM. But one this that I noticed is that the BIOS doesn't detect the whole 4 GB RAM that is installed. During POST session it only detects approx. 3.5 GB. Is that a problem?

I don't have a second CPU for testing.

How do I upgrade the firmware on the HDD? And has anybody seen or heard about the other issue with the USB mouse not being detected during setup.

Regards,
Sanjay.

sanjaynelli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
You are bang on target Proximon. I already ran it and guess what...the memory module is defective and memtest found 42876 errors. I will get the replacement module in a couple of hours so I should be able to test my system again.

Thanks a lot for your prompt response. I will update this post once I test it with the replacement module.

Thanks again :)

sanjaynelli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Issue resolved. After replacing the faulty memory module my system is stable and everything is working fine. I installing Windows 7 64 bit without any issues. I was also able to resolved the mouse issue by installing the USB3.0 drivers post Windows 7 installation.

TRENDING THREADS