beginnerbuild

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011
I'm going to build a new computer here are the components:

Core i5 2400
The accompanying motherboard (none out yet ATM)
4 GB Gskills DDR3 RAM
1 X 1TB Western Digital HDD
Asus GeForce GT 430
Cooler Master 212+ Heat sink
DVD drive
:D

Would a 450W power supply be good enough?
Any recommendations on power supply?

CX430 horrible please tell more. Why do you say it is horrible? Overpriced maybe, but horrible no. I would only say get the CX430 if you can find a deal around $30 - $40 any more then that and there are better options.

I would suggest going with a 550 watt if you can afford it this will ensure plenty of power for future upgrades, but for your system as is you don't even need a 450 watt unit you could get away on 350 watts no problem.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817170014

4 eggs on newegg it must be good!

Fail!

Stick around for a bit, and you will learn that no one here trusts newegg ratings for a reason. 90% of the issues are caused by morons who didnt know what they were buying and made stupid mistakes. Also, you always end up biased more towards the negative reviews because people enjoy ranting/venting. Its not supposed to be a stellar unit, its whole goal in life is to trick people out of buying crap like the 4 egg logisys i linked to.

I trust jonnyguru a hell of a lot more than i trust any newegg review ever.

LMAO on trusting the idiots reviewing it from Newegg.

If a cheap unit is needed and the power requirements for the system is low then the CX430 is perfect. Yes it is not as good as the VX400 was that was made by SeaSonic the CX430 is really only a 380 watt unit made by CWT yes it is a bit more cheap then the SeaSonic VX400, but for the price of it you can not complain since it will not blow up your system like alot will do in that price range.

So if your system is not very demanding I have no problem suggesting getting it especially if you are on a budget. Not everyone has $70 to $100 to spend like that.

beginnerbuild

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011

sadly prices here in canada are different than the states, the price is $50 after rebate + shipping $15. =(
Unfortunatly I'm going for a budget build I'll try to look for something under $50 shipping included.

minitron815

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
"90% of the issues are caused by morons who didnt know what they were buying and made stupid mistakes."

"ya and newegg reviews arent worth jack wunderburgers honestly, as say hello said, these arent gurus in the field, and i wouldnt buy something just because some random people said its cool or gave it thumbs up"

So it obviously takes JG to tell if a unit is DOA or dies?

I'm going to c/p the comments of the first few 1 eggs I see.

"1 out of 5 eggsRating: 1/5Constantly Overheated"

1 out of 5 eggsRating: 1/5RMA ???????

Pros: Long cables and looks great

Cons: Bought 2 one works great and the other smells Bad and makes noises like a pig. with the PC off too.... I think it's a capacitor that is bad? THE BIGGEST PROBLEM IS RMA?? 4 TIMES I EMAILED CORSAIR AND NOTHING BACK AT ALL, IN 2 MONTHS?? WHAT HAPPEN THEY ALL GO ON VACATION? NEVER HAD A COMPANY BE THIS BAD AND I LOVE CORSAIR PRODUCTS. I RUN A SMALL SHOP AND BUY ABOUT 75K A YEAR IN pc parts AND CORSAIR IS RIGHT UP THERE ON THE TOP. This is my first bad feedback I have ever left!!"

"1 out of 5 eggsRating: 1/5AVOID

Pros: None.

Cons: DOA. My first Corsair PSU and was DOA."

"1 out of 5 eggsRating: 1/5Corsair going backwards

Pros: None whatsoever! If u own the old 80 plus CX400 this is an awful downgrade

Cons: My younger bro bought this w/o consulting me :

1. Buzzing sound (very irritating)
2. Temps were high compared to older PSU
3. Not 80 plus, less amps on the rails than CX400

Other Thoughts: If u are outside the USA rather than hit this here are some far superior choices

1. Antec High Current 80+ bronze series
2. BeQuiet 80+ series"

"1 out of 5 eggsRating: 1/5Corsair CX430

Pros: None except the cheap Price AR. Now I know why - DOA.

Cons: What a piece of Junk. My First Corsair PS after only buying Antec and CM. Corsair Power Supplies are a piece of Junk. DOA. DOA. Enough Said.

Other Thoughts: DOA. DOA. Enough Said. Not buying again. Now have to pay $10 for shipping the piece of $15 Junk back to Corsair. Hey, Wait, Haven't received my rebate yet so it is a $35 Piece of Junk."

"1 out of 5 eggsRating: 1/5Corsair cheaped out...

Pros: nice sticker

Cons: 3.3v rail is measured at 2.3v with a power supply tester. didn't bother trying it in my computer. it might blow up. returning for refund.

Other Thoughts: the inside looks cheap. smaller coils"

"1 out of 5 eggsRating: 1/5I gave Corsair PSU's 1 last chance - Big Mistake

Pros: The price was right, especially with a rebate. Specs were more than sufficient for my setup.

Cons: Here we are, 3 months later and still waiting on the rebate. Also, after shutting down computer and turning the switch on the PSU off, pc won't turn back on. When turning the switch on the PSU on, there is a distinct buzzing sound. Cheap PSU = Cheap parts. Spend a little more money for a better quality device. Now I get to see how Corsairs RMA process goes....yippee

Other Thoughts: I'm lucky as the PSU didn't seem to take down my motherboard. I've put the original PSU in and all is well."

"1 out of 5 eggsRating: 1/5Bad humming noise

Pros: The power supply works. Maybe it will die sooner than later, who knows

Cons: It makes an annoying audible humming sound. For $15 on Black Friday I figured it was worth the risk.

The noise comes and goes like a sine wave and its comparable to the buzz you would hear from speakers getting feedback.

Its not loud enough that you can't ignore it, but it’s not quite enough to forget about it either. Overall it’s just a major nuisance and I have to shut off the computer at night when my ears are more tuned into any noises.

Other Thoughts: I am not a very noise conscious person when it comes to computer noise. This is beyond what a normal person would expect for noise. It gets VERY irritating when there is no music playing or something to keep your attention distracted."

Yes apparently comparisons to the VX was the only problem...

You also realize that most people consider price when reviewing on newegg (they're shopping on newegg after all) and will review accordingly. Just about every review on that logisys lists cheap as a pro and I'm sure they weren't expecting and didn't get much. With the CX430 expect a RMA apparently.

well doesnt mean cuz its recertified thats it bad, some people make different choices, and return products, well to future proof his system, if he wants to sli or run crossfire,

thats why i recommand higher power supplys,

and that ocz isnt that bad, but the 2 others picks are quite swell