Solved

Samsung 840 pro 256GB

i will ry to be quick with my question: I only have avariable 236GB (that is 20GB missing :O)

second question: IN Samsung magician, it ask me to over position 23GB to mantain the SSD in high performance.

weren't the 20GB Missing from my SSD already used for that? do i have to lose 43GB from my SSD witch is already small and expensive...
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about samsung 256gb
  1. Best answer
    No the 20GB missing is likely because you formatted the drive. 256GB of space is "raw" (without file system). If you format it to use NTFS file system for instance, a percentage of the space goes to file allocation table and other management features of the file system.
  2. i installed windows 7 64bit ultimate.when i was in the formatting menu, i could not find a way to get morre GBs. is there a way to incrase the Gbs lost?
  3. No, it is not "lost" space, as I explained to you this is used by the file system for management/file allocation table/etc... Windows 7 presents you the real information, the space that will be available after formatting if you use NTFS. Use a different OS or file system if you don't like it, but other file systems are likely to do the same, I don't know if the space percentage used for management is different or better for Mac OS or Linux/Unix though.

All I know is that for NTFS, 236GB is perfectly normal for a 256GB drive. I have a 1 TB HDD at home and after format I only have 920 GB left or something.
  4. MC_K7 said:
    No, it is not "lost" space, as I explained to you this is used by the file system for management/file allocation table/etc... Windows 7 presents you the real information, the space that will be available after formatting if you use NTFS. Use a different OS or file system if you don't like it, but other file systems are likely to do the same, I don't know if the space percentage used for management is different or better for Mac OS or Linux/Unix though.

All I know is that for NTFS, 236GB is perfectly normal for a 256GB drive. I have a 1 TB HDD at home and after format I only have 920 GB left or something.

let me see if i get this. the SSD/HDD uses this space to move around the information every time i write something to it? like the hallway in a storage room? does the analogy apply? if not please enlighten me
  5. Windows show information on 1024 basis and the manufacturer calculate with 1000, so that is the difference. 1024^4 is a difference to 1000^4.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Performance Samsung Storage