Sign in with
Your question

Samsung 840 pro 256GB

Last response: in Storage
March 6, 2013 4:23:50 PM

i will ry to be quick with my question: I only have avariable 236GB (that is 20GB missing :o )

second question: IN Samsung magician, it ask me to over position 23GB to mantain the SSD in high performance.

weren't the 20GB Missing from my SSD already used for that? do i have to lose 43GB from my SSD witch is already small and expensive...

More about : samsung 840 pro 256gb

a b G Storage
March 6, 2013 4:28:15 PM

No the 20GB missing is likely because you formatted the drive. 256GB of space is "raw" (without file system). If you format it to use NTFS file system for instance, a percentage of the space goes to file allocation table and other management features of the file system.
March 6, 2013 4:35:38 PM

i installed windows 7 64bit ultimate.when i was in the formatting menu, i could not find a way to get morre GBs. is there a way to incrase the Gbs lost?
Related resources
a b G Storage
March 6, 2013 4:41:55 PM

No, it is not "lost" space, as I explained to you this is used by the file system for management/file allocation table/etc... Windows 7 presents you the real information, the space that will be available after formatting if you use NTFS. Use a different OS or file system if you don't like it, but other file systems are likely to do the same, I don't know if the space percentage used for management is different or better for Mac OS or Linux/Unix though.

All I know is that for NTFS, 236GB is perfectly normal for a 256GB drive. I have a 1 TB HDD at home and after format I only have 920 GB left or something.
March 6, 2013 4:57:26 PM

MC_K7 said:
No, it is not "lost" space, as I explained to you this is used by the file system for management/file allocation table/etc... Windows 7 presents you the real information, the space that will be available after formatting if you use NTFS. Use a different OS or file system if you don't like it, but other file systems are likely to do the same, I don't know if the space percentage used for management is different or better for Mac OS or Linux/Unix though.

All I know is that for NTFS, 236GB is perfectly normal for a 256GB drive. I have a 1 TB HDD at home and after format I only have 920 GB left or something.

let me see if i get this. the SSD/HDD uses this space to move around the information every time i write something to it? like the hallway in a storage room? does the analogy apply? if not please enlighten me
a b G Storage
March 7, 2013 5:28:15 AM

Windows show information on 1024 basis and the manufacturer calculate with 1000, so that is the difference. 1024^4 is a difference to 1000^4.
!