Is 8GB DDR3 RAM enough for gaming

Josh5890

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
I'm looking to upgrade my rig in the near future. My current memory is 4 GB of DDR3. Will 8 GB be enough for gaming now until it comes time to upgrade my mobo with the next generation of RAM or should I do an extra 8 GB for 12 GB all together? I'm trying to keep costs low while future proofing my rig as much as possible.

Not entirely true!
Both AMD and Intel(1156/1155) have platforms that support dual channel DDR3 ram.
Intel 1366 uses Tri channel DDR3.
OP what are your system specs?
CPU/MOBO

More ram isn't going to help you gaming wise.
Your systems weaknesses are the gpu and psu.
The most beneficial upgrade for gaming is a better gpu,unfortunately that might also require a new psu.

Josh5890

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009

I agree with you there. My system is getting huge makeover. I'm keeping the mobo and cpu but I'm upgrading just about everything else. The GPU and PSU will be getting an upgrade (looking at a 750W and HD6950). I'm going to finally get Windows 7, a 1 TB HDD, and maybe a new dvd drive. I figure if I'm going all out I might as well upgrade the RAM a little bit.

Well if that's the case then yes 8gb of ram is recommended.
A quality 650W psu will run those specs no problem even oc'd.

What OS ....32 or 64 bit ?

32 bit - I'd stay with 4 GB
64 bit - I'd go to 8 GB

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-memory-upgrade,2778-6.html

In a 64-bit system with a powerful graphics card, 8 GB of RAM really is a must if you're going to play demanding games. This is the case regardless of whether you're using 32-bit or 64-bit applications. However, even more than 8 GB of RAM can be subjectively noticed while playing. There is no real need for 16 GB of RAM, though. Going with 8 GB is quite enough unless you're running some taxing application in the background. We’ll comment more on this subject later, because the problem is often overestimated, as shown in our 64-bit gaming benchmarks.