'Throwing it in'

AutomaticCoding

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
So, I no longer have any mount brackets in my computer (I have 8... but they're all used up by HDDs) so I currently have my SSD in the "Hotswap" area on the front of my case, although, I'm scared that one day I'll walk past it and snap it off or something.

Can I ask how bad it is to just place the SSD on top of a bunch of power cables? My PSU is not modular so I presume they'd be good enough to cradle it (Not that it has any vibrators/etc).

Here's my current set up:-
a5BPYQ9.png

Sorry for *** camera, taken from ~ 3 feet away using skype's "Webcam checker" and a screen capturer then enhanced (Apparently it doesn't work as well in real life).

AutomaticCoding

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Apparently I'm not allowed to edit my post, so, sorry for the lack of description for the photo.

It's because I was showing the SSD (On the top), it's circled in black (Which in hindsight is probably a poor color).

You are not alone.

We've had several older threads about lack of drive bay space for an ssd. One member used duct tape to secure his ssd to the side of the drive bays. There was enough space for the ssd between the side of the drive bay and the case side panel. Others have taped their ssd's in the bottom of their cases. I've also read about using zip ties, rubber bands, and velcro. You can mount the ssd just about anywhere there is sufficient space inside the case.

EDIT - I just remembered. Cooler Master makes a 4 in 3 drive bay device so that you can fit 4 drives in 3 standard 5.25 inch drive bays. Here is a link to the product:

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=2542

I used several of them for customer builds and one of my own a few years ago. The front grill is removable so that the device can be hidden completely inside the case. You can also remove the fan if necessary. I left the fan on and mounted the device at the top front of my case so that the device fan, the cpu cooler fan, and the exhaust fan on the back of the case all lined up. I wound up creating a wind tunnel effect that kept everything cool.

Although you could do it, I wouldn't recommend letting the ssd simply rest on top of the cables.

AutomaticCoding

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

I'll buy some 5 in 3 drives soon, but, not now. I currently only have 8 HDDs (Hopefully soon to increase), no point buying a 5 in 3 for 1 drive.

Oh, and I already have 2 4 in 3s.

popatim

Titan
if theres room, set it on the bottom of the case, on top of your dvd drive, on top of a 5400rpm drive (they're cooler than 7200rpm drives) , tape it to the side panel (make sure you have enough cable length for when you open the side panel), on top of the bottom mounted PSU... lots of choices since ssd's wont suffer damage from vibration or movement they can pretty much be put *wherever*.

TRENDING THREADS