Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hard time finding the RIGHT case for 2011 gaming rig :D

Last response: in Components
February 18, 2011 12:49:48 AM

Hey guys. Im thinking of selling my rig and starting again. Im pretty lost at the case. im 90% sure of ALL the other parts i may buy, but the case is were i loose my hope. For starters, i own the Cooler Master CM690 Nvidia edition ( NV690 )

I need a GOOD looking case for UNDER $100. I CAN do over $100 maybe $120 or $140 if its REALLY worth it. Other than that, i want to keep it below $100... I want a newer (2008+) case. The cm690 is from 07 and its nice and has most modern features, but it just feels like those early Crysis years :D 

BTW, i REALLY prefer having a clear side window. A mesh window is fine i guess. No window is also fine if its really worht it but i LOVEEEEEEEEEEEE being able to look inside :D 

I prefer newegg, but i can buy from anywhere that is safe and uses paypal. Ive only looked on Newegg. Heres what i found:

In-Win Dragon rider $140 (looks EXTREMELY nice but the price really kills me, also its a mesh window not clear)
AZZA Solano 1000 $110 (looks good, price is right, clear window, nice overall BUT its not common so idk)
Thermaltake Armor+MX $140 (i just randomly put this here, its nice but idk about this one)
CM Storm Scout $90 (cheap price, clear window, cool red, BUT its a little small and seems cheap, but hey it is cheap :D )
NZXT TEMPEST EVO $90 (cheap, clear window, cool, looks nice, BUT idk about this one either)
Sentey Extreme Division $100 (AWESOME red, good price, very nice interior, BUT NO ******* WINDOW NOOO!)

Those are some options. As you may have noticed, i like big cases. Some of the cheaper ones give me a tight feeling. IDK y but the pictures of the case makes it look SMALL for example the Storm scout...

Thanks in advance

Best solution

a c 274 ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
February 18, 2011 2:34:16 AM

I find it hard to believe none of these excellent and well-known cases aren't on your list.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...
February 18, 2011 2:44:39 AM

The HAF 922 is a great case, with a ton of space. I own one myself and recommend it to anyone who wants a case that moves a lot of air. It's built to last, and the looks aren't too bad either. The side panel has a mesh 'window' though, so if that's not to your liking then you probably won't dig it. I do though, and helps both my 470's breathe a little easier.

CM Scout owners seem to just love that case to death, and the Lancool PC-K62 has also been very well received.
m
l
Related resources
February 18, 2011 2:51:05 AM

I love my Azza Solano 1000R. I found it on sale for $80 a few months back.
m
l
February 18, 2011 3:48:02 AM

Actually i am sad. I just picked up the CM 690 II. It will fit a 12 inch vid card. Great internal airflow( sometimes it's not how many fans you have but how it moves it around your case) decent back spice to hide all your wires (little tight but managable)
No window but with space for 2 120 mm fans to sit right on top of your vid cards. and a nice discrete non toy look i was very impressed with the case. and it was 79$ SCORE!

Now i was too cheap to get but fell in love with http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CC800DW-Obsidian-Aluminum... but way out of the price you posted but one of the best cases i have seen recently with huge potentials for water cooling and heat zone management .
m
l
February 18, 2011 6:50:43 AM

That's a nice case--but like a lot of Corsair products--you pay for the name. I prefer something more ostentatious though--like the Azza Solano. The CM 690 II has a very nice sleek look. Pay attention to the air cooler you get though because tall ones won't fit.
m
l
February 18, 2011 9:03:11 AM

I got one of these for my latest build, got it for around £120

http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=CAS-R...

Good looking -if rather large- comes with all the cooling you'll ever need. Three massive 180mm fans cover the entire bottom floor of the tower puling in air from underneath and it's all pulled out the top by another 120mm fan in the mesh roof. (Case also has a large perspex window ;D) Due to the size of the fans and their numerity they don't have to spin fast to cool effectively, making it incredibly quiet. The case fan noise is so low in fact, that unless my HDDs are busy doing something I have frequently forgotten it's on at all.

Got a weird but useful 90 degree MB and PSU layout inside so all the cables come out the top of the machine (covered once case is reassembled) rather than the back so you can have the machine right up agaist the wall without damaging any connectors.

I enjoyed building it as it was just so large, no cable bundling into tight spaces, everything remains accessible. I also have the hands of king kong so I was grateful for the room.

Only thing you need to pay attention to is that your PSU cables are long enough to reach around the sides of the case from back to front to reach your drives. Was a litle disappointed with the quality of the power and reset buttons and the top panel which seem a bit cheap and flimsy, but it all works and had no problems so far.

m
l
February 18, 2011 12:51:02 PM

I second the HAF 922. I have it on my latest build and love it!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The one above comes with 2 200mm fans, plus a 120mm in the back. Then is has room for another on the bottom, and 2 120s or 1 200mm on the side. I love the light, rather than seeing inside, so I added another red LED 200mm to the side panel.

LOVE this case! It's Cooler Master, so it's large for a mid tower. With my mobo, I don't need any other slot cards except my GPUs, but have more room to expand if needed, and it will fit the longest cards right now.

Big. Sturdy. Cool (temp). Quiet fan. 5 egg rating. $100. Can't go wrong.
m
l
February 18, 2011 2:33:05 PM

LOL! Ive never gotten so many replies :D  Thanks guy

Well so far EVERYONE told me to get the CM Haf 922. IDK if its me, but from the pictures, it looks small. I read the measurements, and it turns out, its bigger than my cm690. :D 

Thankfully, i live near a tigerdirect :D  I dont buy much from there, but i sure as hell go there to compare parts :D  They have the 922 and the cm690 in stock so next time i go, i will compare.. I also have enough money for the Haf 932! The window on the 922 is suckish but i have to see it first. You also posted the Antec 902 which is nice but its TOO SMALL =(. It looks good but it also gives me that early Crysis feel LOL. I WISH i could affored the HAF X Nvidia cuz its amazing lol. Ive never heard of the PC-K62. Looks nice. I LOVE the black interior. Similar size to the 690. It has a simpler look but thats not really a con. Can anyone back up the Lian-li?

The haf 922 would have been higher up on my list if it had a black interior lol. Im not painting anything. The Haf 932 is also a little more expensive then what i would prefer, but its a good case right?

Thanks for all the help GUYS! I will take those into consideration. I STILL think the In-win Dragon Rider is ******* sexy. IF you think you found a case that looks better, show me!

Thanks

BTW the reason why those cases werent on my list, was because, they seemed meh and the time.. IDK. I still need more options.
m
l
February 18, 2011 2:34:31 PM

dalauder said:
I love my Azza Solano 1000R. I found it on sale for $80 a few months back.

Holy crap, if i found it for $80, i would have already bought it :D  haha. IS it REALLY good? It LOOKS, Feels, and everything that a more expensive common case has.

Thanks =)
m
l
February 18, 2011 2:38:34 PM

addiktet said:
Actually i am sad. I just picked up the CM 690 II. It will fit a 12 inch vid card. Great internal airflow( sometimes it's not how many fans you have but how it moves it around your case) decent back spice to hide all your wires (little tight but managable)
No window but with space for 2 120 mm fans to sit right on top of your vid cards. and a nice discrete non toy look i was very impressed with the case. and it was 79$ SCORE!

Now i was too cheap to get but fell in love with http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CC800DW-Obsidian-Aluminum... but way out of the price you posted but one of the best cases i have seen recently with huge potentials for water cooling and heat zone management .

I like the the CM 690 II but it has no window. As you know i have the CM 690. The differences arent huge but there are many. Im taking the CM 690 II Nvidia into consideration :D 

LOL ive seen the 800D case in front of me. Its ABSOFUKINGLUTELY HUGE! lol too much cash tho. i would buy it if i could :D 
m
l
February 19, 2011 3:38:44 AM

Oh, the Azza Solano is amazing! I have it loaded with quite a few HDDs, graphics and other stuff and it's very sturdy, not flimsy in the slightest. It has a great back panel for hiding cables (so I saved on a non-modular Corsair TX850). And the fans have great airflow and are silent.

Everything is pretty much completely perfect in the case I got--I can't speak for their quality control since I've only had one though. I assume it's good though.

EDIT: There are no 2.5" HDD mountings. But everything is thumb screws--tooless.
m
l
February 19, 2011 4:55:06 AM

Update I received my CM 690 II today and could not beleive the improvement over the original 690 this case has me in love from the start.

I did not realize that it comes with a toolless hd holder for 2.5 ssd ( only wishing it had 2 )

140 mm fan in the top with space for another

hot swap in the top of the machine

Beautiful black interior

And removable washable filters everywhere there is mesh.

I cannot wait to see what kind of temps i get with my h70.Should be a thing of beauty.
m
l
February 20, 2011 7:29:05 PM

Best answer selected by neonzion.
m
l
February 20, 2011 7:31:02 PM

im still a little unsure. I am soon going to the store to check out the HAF 922, HAF 932, and a few other cases. The AZZA Solano, while its not famous or common, seems a great choice. I just like things like look GOOD. I dont care about quality, performance, cooling, features... I like clear windows and good looks. I LOVE bright lights. And yeah.. :D  Thanks for all the help!
m
l
February 20, 2011 9:42:48 PM

Well the Azza Solano has quality, performance, & cooling. I love the looks too though.
m
l
!