Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Sony Vaio S-series extended battery options?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 31, 2005 12:04:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hi,
I have a Sony Vaio VGN-S series laptop and would like longer battery life.
Sony makes an extended run battery (model VGP-BPL2) for this laptop, but
they want US$300 for it, which strikes me as ludicrous. Even on eBay it
goes for about $275.

So I was wondering...
1) Who makes good aftermarket batteries for the S Series? (note,
Batteries+ and batteries.com do not have batteries for this laptop.)
2) Some companies make external battery packs that extend your laptop
runtime by connecting to your laptop's power input jack. Lenmar makes a
"brick" model [not compatible with the S Series though] and I've heard
of the "battery pad"-style that goes under the laptop. Do these
solutions have any significant benefits over just getting the mfr.'s
extended-run battery?
I'm curious which solutions people like most.

thanks,
Jonathan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 31, 2005 12:04:40 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Jonathan Sturges wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a Sony Vaio VGN-S series laptop and would like longer battery
life.
> Sony makes an extended run battery (model VGP-BPL2) for this laptop,
but
> they want US$300 for it, which strikes me as ludicrous. Even on eBay
it
> goes for about $275.

wow, thats cheap, over here in europe we pay over 500 USD for the BPL2
with 7200mAh.


> I'm curious which solutions people like most.
>

Honestly, I, for myself, would go with the Sony original batterie pack.
At the moment the S and FS series Vaio are new to the market and the
price for cheap batteries is limited.
As a dealer i look at the risk and return.
Here the return is saving approx 50-75 USD on a new batterie.
The risk is destroying your 2000 USD Vaio baby because of faulty
batterie.
Now decide yourself if you want to go for the deal or not.
Regards,
Martin
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 31, 2005 1:02:31 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On 31 Jan 2005 07:47:17 -0800, "Stausi" <forum.stausi@gmail.com>
wrote:

>The risk is destroying your 2000 USD Vaio baby because of faulty
>batterie.
>Now decide yourself if you want to go for the deal or not.
>Regards,
>Martin



You sound like the alarm salesman "Does your live worth the $5000
fancy-pants system I'm trying to sell you?"

For $30, I would certainly to brand name, but if this was 50% off, I
would hesitate just a little and go for generic.

Hey, do you know Sony outsources some of the stuff to China? no, you
don't?
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 31, 2005 1:10:32 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

That's another problem with the latest and greatest, even the
accessories are expensive!

I would caution against an external battery. If u like portability,
are you sure u are willing to lug that thing where ever you go (don't
forget the other stuff you are already taking with you). Also using
an external batt would be clumpsy on your lap.

If u go for the extended battery, note how often you use it, 'cuz
maybe only occasionally when u go to these job sites without power.
Sharing using both batteries is like rotating your tires, they will
both share the cycle-charge wear.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 31, 2005 2:18:17 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

bobb wrote:
>
> That's another problem with the latest and greatest, even the
> accessories are expensive!

It's not necessarily "the latest and greatest" accesories that
are expensive, it's the fact that they're Sony!

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 31, 2005 3:06:20 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:18:17 -0700, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:

>bobb wrote:
>>
>> That's another problem with the latest and greatest, even the
>> accessories are expensive!

>It's not necessarily "the latest and greatest" accesories that
>are expensive, it's the fact that they're Sony!


I have a 5-years old vaio z-series. I recently bought a brand new batt
for $50. off eBay.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 31, 2005 5:12:38 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

bobb wrote:
>
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:18:17 -0700, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
>
> >bobb wrote:
> >>
> >> That's another problem with the latest and greatest, even the
> >> accessories are expensive!
>
> >It's not necessarily "the latest and greatest" accesories that
> >are expensive, it's the fact that they're Sony!
>
> I have a 5-years old vaio z-series. I recently bought a brand new batt
> for $50. off eBay.

eBay/second hand/whatever Sony accessories can be reasonably priced.

It's the brand-new stuff that'll cost you, at least, an arm and a leg!

Notan
!