I want a straight direct answer :D

d1versify

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2012
Hey got this friend who keeps saying that an SSD improves the perfomance on his computer in overall.

Can you answer me simply and with no many explanations.

Is an SSD so important in a PC? I mean

DO YOU GET BETTER GAMING PERFOMANCE? (cuz he is talking about games)

DO YOU GET BETTER GAMING PERFOMANCE?
DO YOU GET BETTER GAMING PERFOMANCE?

This please :D thank you and sorry for caps

RealBeast

Titan
I love SSDs, and they do improve overall computer performance dramatically.

But for gaming only I would answer: not really, you do get better read speed and access times, so things like changing levels or other disk intensive stuff is helped. Most of the performance issues in games, once you have a good CPU and enough memory are really video related.

For total gaming, I hate to say it but I would spend all the money on a better video card. An SSD does allow you to play sooner though, since it boots faster. :) :)

d1versify

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2012
ok thanks :)

i just got mad cuz a guy said that he prefered to get an SSD than a new great monitor (he plays on TV)
because monitor provides visuals.. and he said its like getting a Fiat 500 for the looks and not a Subaru impreza .
and he just bought an 950 euro pc. Seriously who doesnt want to play games in a good monitor and resolution ? :/

The answer to your question is yes and no.

Startup and loading game levels, weapons selection charts, maps, and stuff like that will be faster. The FPS will not improve.

Tom's Hardware and other sites have published many articles about ssd's and gaming. The articles include information about ssd's and specific games. For example, an article might include performance information about an ssd when playing Crysis or whatever the latest game happens to be. The information is available.

Adding to what RealBeast said, a SSD does not do squat for FPS. If you play multiplayer though, in games where loading quickly can matter, the SSD will allow you to [re]spawn quickly, sometimes well ahead of players with mechanical drives. Games that load instances will load them in a second or two, not in 15, 20, 30 seconds (or more). That will matter if there might be nasties waiting to kill you just the other side of the portal.

SSDs DO:
1) Load OS faster, for example my Windows 8 on laptop. From time I hit Power button to opening IE is 8 Secs (Samsung 840 Pro 256 gig SSD). My Desktop (i5-2500k. 15 Secs to load OS (256 gig Samsung 830).
2) Programs load supper fast.
3) For Games, program loads faster, Maps, providing they are ON the SSD will load faster.

What SSDs do NOT do!
1) Allow a program to run faster.
2) Broose the web faster.
3) Download file from a website faster.
4) Increase FPS for a Game.

PS: I love My SSDs and would NEVER go back to a HDD for an OS + Program drive. That said, One must way the cost vs the performance. As Realbeast stated, Basically they just speed up boot time and program load.

PS: I'm not a gamer.

Hmmm.....Now that I think about it one of my neighbors has a brand new 60 inch Smart TV. My neighbor uses the TV for multiplayer games with his two young boys. The three of them sit on the sofa and have a go at each other.

I guess you could consider it as a father spending some quality time with his boys. :)