Sign in with
Your question

Working on a build for a modern home computer

Last response: in Systems
November 23, 2010 9:16:53 AM

So, I've looked into getting a new home computer and my friend suggested I try building my own computer. I took his advice, and this is the build I emerged with so far:
(Note the somewhat high end parts, not really gaming. I work in the homebrew community (mainly just RPG Maker XP/VX but I'm planning on delving into ++C and netgore in a few years) and occasionally run medium-end games and apps. Only other stuff that counts lightly as heavy on cpu: spriting, running programs like gimp/photoshop, and video editing)

Btw, any help on getting better parts for less or on how to reduce the overdrafted budget without dampening on performance too much would be appreciated!
Quote:
Budget (ok, I know I went over my posted budget...but I'm willing to pay more for a good computer): $500 (not including OS, speakers, monitor, keyboard and mouse, I'll
have to shop for those later anyway.)

Non-Build Parts (as for non-build parts like OS, keyboard, etc...I go with Amazon instead because of the free shipping):
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (linkage)
Monitor: Hanns-G HW-191APB (linkage)
Keyboard & Mouse: Logitech Cordless Keyboard/Mouse Set EX100 (linkage)
Speakers: Not needed, I already have some good ones 8D (Logitech - S-120 2.0)
Router: Cisco Valet Plus (M20/already bought and setup for other computers/devices wifi capable)
Sub-total: $237.97 (not including taxes and extra fees, and the non-build fees are not counted under the total but are listed anyway)

Build Parts:
Case: RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WB (linkage)
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955 (linkage)
Mobo [Motherboard]: ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 (linkage)
Ram: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) (linkage)
Power Supply: Rosewill Stallion Series RD400-2-SB 400W (linkage)
Video Card: ZOTAC ZT-20105-10P (linkage)
Hard Drive: Corsair Force F40 CSSD-F40GB2 (40 GB) (linkage)
Optical Drive: LG Black 24X (linkage)

Budget Watch: $618.92/$500 (Remainder: $118.92)
November 23, 2010 10:34:51 AM

First of all don't name your links "linkage", it sounds retarded

2nd of all, Hanns-G monitors are crap

Your router has nothing to do with your build, so don't post it here

If you're fine with that case, fine, but it sucks

You also didn't fill out the proper form
m
l
November 23, 2010 11:03:39 AM

1. I don't take crap from people on how I type. How I type is none of your business man.
2. About the monitor, and case; you are entitled to your opinion. But I like the case, and it's backed up by it's good reviews. Besides, it looks nice to me.
3. Proper form? At least it is understandable, not a mouthful of babble mind you.
m
l
Related resources
November 23, 2010 12:05:48 PM

I would definitely top up $10 and hit the Corsair F40 Sandforce based SSD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Corsair Force F40 Review (40GB)
http://www.storagereview.com/corsair_force_f40_review_4...
Quote:
Conclusion

The new low-capacity 40GB Corsair Force F40 is a stunner. Compared to other boot-only drives it blows the competition out of the water by retaining the high read and write speeds of its higher capacity brothers. In our real-world benchmarks the difference is amazing when you compare this drive against the Intel X25-V, which is in the same price category, but limited in write speed. It speeds ahead in our Productivity trace and soars in the HTPC trace, thanks to the 240MB/s write speeds compared to the Intel’s 40MB/s.

Pros

As fast as other SandForce drives
Fastest write speeds on a low-capacity SSD
Super low power consumption
Cons

A step slower than it's F120 big brother
Bottom Line

Overall it’s great to see new competition in the boot-drive front, since at the end of the day it means greater performance for shoppers working with a limited budget. With the tremendous performance and sub-$100 price (currently with rebate - $130 list) we're happy to give the Corsair F40 top honors in our boot drive category.
m
l
November 23, 2010 12:18:07 PM

batuchka said:
I would definitely top up $10 and hit the Corsair F40 Sandforce based SSD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Corsair Force F40 Review (40GB)
http://www.storagereview.com/corsair_force_f40_review_4...
Quote:
Conclusion

The new low-capacity 40GB Corsair Force F40 is a stunner. Compared to other boot-only drives it blows the competition out of the water by retaining the high read and write speeds of its higher capacity brothers. In our real-world benchmarks the difference is amazing when you compare this drive against the Intel X25-V, which is in the same price category, but limited in write speed. It speeds ahead in our Productivity trace and soars in the HTPC trace, thanks to the 240MB/s write speeds compared to the Intel’s 40MB/s.

Pros

As fast as other SandForce drives
Fastest write speeds on a low-capacity SSD
Super low power consumption
Cons

A step slower than it's F120 big brother
Bottom Line

Overall it’s great to see new competition in the boot-drive front, since at the end of the day it means greater performance for shoppers working with a limited budget. With the tremendous performance and sub-$100 price (currently with rebate - $130 list) we're happy to give the Corsair F40 top honors in our boot drive category.

Thank you, you've had the best advice I've been fiven so far.
m
l
November 23, 2010 12:21:39 PM

Hmm i know u stated lite gaming but i would try to squeeze in a sub $90 GTS 250/HD 4850 rather than a HD 4350 in there - u are welcomed ^^
m
l
November 23, 2010 12:25:34 PM

batuchka said:
Hmm i know u stated lite gaming but i would try to squeeze in a sub $90 GTS 250/HD 4850 rather than a HD 4350 in there - u are welcomed ^^

Can you link me to it's newegg page? I hope this HD your suggesting has good write/read speeds.
m
l
November 24, 2010 3:13:19 AM

So, I noticed a small problem.
I checked the physical dimensions of the case I choose against the mobo, and they are:
Case: 20.50" x 8.00" x 17.75" (LxWxH)
Mobo: 12x8.8 (WidthxDepth)

Will my mobo be able to fit into the case or will I need a slightly bigger case, in terms of width?
m
l
November 24, 2010 3:24:25 AM

No worries the 8" refers to thickness of case

m
l
!