Old hard drive transfer

sterplaz

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Hello,

I put a larger, new hard drive on my Windows XP sp3 system and all is working fine.

I wanted to transfer files/documents/etc from old to new drive via USB port. I purchased a USB-to-IDE cable and Molex power cable, hooked up to computer.

The computer recognizes new hardware and Device Manager lists a hard drive on the USB port, calling it "mass storage device; drive". Which makes sense to me.

However, in the Win XP "My Computer" there is no icon shown for the hard drive on USB port. In the past, whenever I connected something (like webcam) to USB port there was an icon there to click on. I thought I would be able to go onto the old drive and look thru the directory structure and copy some things over to new drive. But, no such luck.

Clearly, the computer recognizes the hardware and even identifies it. My question is how do I access the old drive to begin copying files/documents/etc? I thought it would be like putting a disk in the cd-rom drive, going to "my computer" and clicking on cd-rom and it shows the directory structure on the disk; allowing copying of files.

Has anyone here ever done this kinda thing? Thanks, Thomas