Corsair H70 upgrade possibility...

addiktet

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
I am fairly excited about this concept but will need more testing to confirm.

The biggest drawback i can see to the h70 unit is 1) the 2 supplied fans are poor performers with 2k rpm max and very loud because of the "chop" caused by the resistance of the hugely thick radiator.

Pleas understand noise is not an issue my case sits almost 10 feet from me and i use headphones 90% of the time.

I recently purchased a Corsair H70 and am upgrading the fans with http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1621480&CatId=802 but the trick is my cm 690 II case has a second fan in the top of the case so what my thoughts were to connect 1 fan to the radiator closest to the case in a push config bringing cooler air from outside the case then attaching a 4 inch air duct (possibly heater venting) to the opposide side of the rad then running that in a soft 90degree bend to a second fan mounted to the inside of the top of the case in a pull configuration. Thereby venting the heated air to the outside top of the case. That would solve the problem of increasing case temperature. There are 4 other case fans to handle case circulation including a gpu air cooler.

If anyone has any further ideas or better options for fan use plz share. I know this slightly increases the price but i am hoping to see substantial gains in cooling power.

I will keep posting as sson as i have some real world numbers up

Thanks all.

Solution
I have my H70 exhausting out of the back of the case(CM HAF 932). That setup is recommended on most forums in spite of what Corsair says. I have the resistors that came with the H70 on the stock fans and my CPU(i5 2500k @4.6Ghz) hasn't climbed above 40 celsius under load. I thought about venting in fresh air from the front of the case like you suggest but after seeing that the temps were so low I can't justify it.
I would think a 90 degree bend would build up heat inside. What I would do is have the back end fan slot suck in cooler air and have the internal fan of the H70 push air in while the side and top fans push out the hot air. If you have fan slots for the front of the case, put fans there and have them push in cool air.

I would say that as long as you have a fan blowing air out the top of the case, you shouldn't have a problem with the case temp increasing. You shouldn't need to do the air duct thing. You can certainly try it and see though.

I'm thinking about getting the H70 myself. I've got a CM HAF 912 case with six Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F fans (including two blowing out the top). If I mount the radiator on the rear 120mm mount sucking air in, the warm air from the radiator will be immediately blown out the top of the case.

addiktet

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011

I beleive the h70 will far outperform that cooler with upgraded fans in push pull. I know it will be hella loud but that is of little concern to me.

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
I have my H70 exhausting out of the back of the case(CM HAF 932). That setup is recommended on most forums in spite of what Corsair says. I have the resistors that came with the H70 on the stock fans and my CPU(i5 2500k @4.6Ghz) hasn't climbed above 40 celsius under load. I thought about venting in fresh air from the front of the case like you suggest but after seeing that the temps were so low I can't justify it.

Solution

I think you should read this. With identical Delta fans, the better air coolers and the Antec Kuhler beat the H70 by a considerable 5-6C margin. Both the H70 and 620 are made by Asetek:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=694&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=4

Thermaltake Jing 69.7 +11.0
Corsair H50 68.1 +9.4
Coolit Vantage A.L.C. 67.8 +9.1
Corsair H70 64.7 +6.0
Coolit ECO A.L.C. 64.3 +5.6
Cooler Master V6 GT 59.5 +0.8
Prolimatech Super Mega 59.4 +0.7
Antec Kühler H2O 620 58.7 +0.0
Thermalright Venomous X 58.0 -0.7

But what I do know are the performance figures I got in my testing, which place the Kühler solidly in the lead of all other all-in-one water coolers that I've tested. Frankly its performance is almost unbelievably good: its stock-fan performance is 7.2 degrees cooler than Corsair H50, whose radiator appears to be identical. With the high-speed Delta fan on both coolers, the performance gap widens to 9.4 degrees. I can't come up with any explanation other than increased flow rate, but in the end that's really irrelevant, as the performance speaks for itself. Its only competitor in the all-in-one water cooling market is the Corsair H70, which achieves similar stock-fan performance with its thicker radiator and dual fans. However, the H70 is both noisier and significantly more expensive than Antec's Kühler.

Priced to compete with high-end air coolers, the Kühler offers similar performance and a lower noise level. It's the first compact liquid cooler I've tested that can honestly be considered as competition for the likes of the Cooler Master V6 GT, Prolimatech Megahalems, and Thermalright Venomous X.

The performance of the Antec Kühler H20 620 was excellent, exceeding that of every other water cooler I've tested and encroaching on the performance range of the very best air coolers.......The Antec Kühler H2O 620 is the best-performing water cooler I've tested,

$80 for the Kuhler 620
http://store.antec.com/Product/cooling-cpu_cooler/kuhler-h2o-620/0-761345-77085-9.aspx

$100 for the H70
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181013

$22 Delta fan used in test
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835706036

addiktet

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011

addiktet

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011

Thanks Pacoli you are right i should wait to see what kind of temps i produce and how well the unit OC's before i go getting McGuyver on it.

Thank you