Need a mobo for a 2500k under $150

Status
Not open for further replies.

gspotfrenzy

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Hey all.

After giving it some thought I've decided not to upgrade my aging Phenom X3 720 and just go for an i5 2500k chip/mobo combo. I tend to not follow hardware too closely unless I'm in the market and my head is spinning a little right now with all the options available between the P and Z zeries chipsets. I'd like to keep the whole shebang at 400 dollars or cheaper including 8gb of RAM. I'll be keeping my 6850 for now.

I'd like to do some overclocking, but I don't intend to push it too hard. 4 gz or so to start.

I play games. I'll be playing SWTOR when it hits, and BF3 mostly. Sometimes other AAA titles such as Deus Ex. I'm a PHD student so I'll be doing work, but frankly my old machine can do that. I may do video transcoding in the future but not a ton of that right now. I'd like to add an SSD boot drive that's big enough to hold Win7 (or 8 in the future) along with SWTOR and maybe a few other things, so I'll be waiting on that till costs for 120GB or larger get a little lower.

In order to keep costs down I'm going to rebuild in my current case, an Antec Sonata from a few years ago with a 500w power supply. If I ever add a 2nd video card I'll upgrade the case and PSU at that time. Just reporting what I have in case there's any power or heat concerns I should be worried about.

Connectivity I can't really see myself running more than 1 SSD, 2 magnetic and 1 optical drive. Decent USB 2.0 needed with 1 or 2 USB 3.0 would be fine

The main feature differences I'm seeing with the Z68 is quicksync and virtu, but I can't really grasp what benefit they might bring me either now in the future. I tried reading Tom's writeups but I'm really looking for a plain english answer (or link) of what they do and why I might or might not want them.

Sorry for the long write up, just wanted to include everything I think might be relevant.

Long story short, 150 dollars or less mobo and a breakdown of what z68 brings to the table. Thanks!

Z68 really doesn't bring anything to the table for the enthusiast. Z68 GEN3 gives ya ability to handle nextgen GFX (PCI-E 3) but it's not going to make PCIE-2 systems obsolete for many years to come.

http://www.ukgamingcomputers.co.uk/difference-between-h67-p67-z68-and-h61-chipsets-a-22.html

Z68
Launched 5 months after the P67 and H67 chipset the Z68 chipset combines the advantages of the H67 and P67 Chipset so that overclocking, dual dedicated graphics cards and use of the integrated CPU graphics is available. Whilst on the surface it would seem that this would be the chipset to go for, how many users that have 2 dedicated graphics cards will actually want to use the onboard graphics when they already have 2 more powerful graphics cards in their system anyway?

The only real advantage is for users that wish to access the HD graphics features such as quick sync, but considering it’s only supported by very few transcoding programs and there are not many people out there that need or will want to transcode, it makes it almost pointless to choose Z68 over a P67 chipset.

Same applies to users that want to overclock the CPU but use the onboard graphics card; it’s a very limited market.

Finally, another feature of a Z68 chipset is known as SSD caching which is where it allows the use of a small (say 10 or 20 GB) Solid state hard drive to act as a cache for a larger ‘traditional’ hard disk. If you are already planning the use of a Solid State drive this feature is redundant.

If you can’t afford a decent size SSD (40GB+) then there are more cost effective ways around using a small SSD and SSD cashing like spending less on a motherboard, (H67 chipset or even a P67 chipset) and putting the saved money into a decent size SSD.

gspotfrenzy

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
I was reading somewhere that the virtu can do some stuff with limiting screen tearing and such when watching movies by switching back to integrated? I am a movie buff so that interested me to a degree.

gspotfrenzy

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011

well based on newegg having a 20 dollar combo discount with the 2500k this looks like the winner. some of the other cheaper boards I was looking at dont, which brings this board within 10 dollars of those. Worth it for future proofing and flexibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.