Hardware Problem?

jlp

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
Hi.

I use a XFX PVT95GZAFG GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card, the motherboard is GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 with i5 750 and two G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB DDR3. OS is Windows XP *32. This mobo worked fine in the past 1 month. But when I returned from a short journey and tried to turn the computer on, it just didn't work. The sym is: the motherboard and windows's graphical login interfaces is crappy, look like that the driver of the video card was not installed. If I login in a normal mode, the computer just does nothing but shows black screen or restart. If in a safe mode, I can login and I saw that in systems>hardware>graphic device, there is a big yellow question mark. I installed the latest driver and then the whole OS: nothing improved.

Interestingly, sometimes I can login successfully in normal modes like nothing has ever happen. However, when I tried to login again, it just fails again.

And btw, there are four phase LED on the motherboard, they are green, green, orange and red in series. Does anyone knows what that means?

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Borrowed from a xbit labs test. "And still the motherboard does not look like a Christmas tree: these LEDs indicate only offnormal events. So if you see a green LED, it does not mean that all goes well. On the contrary, it indicates safe (yet) deviation from normal operation. Moreover, each monitored parameter allows for certain spread of monitored data, so the overclocking indicator (FSB frequency rise) in our case (for the processor with 333 MHz FSB) responded only to the 3-MHz rise, and a CPU voltage LED ignored voltage rises up to 1.45 V (+0.225 V). In fact, some of these thresholds make us wonder: for example, the memory voltage LED lights red (danger) when it rises above 1.9 V, and the CPU temperature indicator lights red, only when the temperature reaches 80°C, when TM2 throttling of the processor risks failing already. You cannot modify these thresholds. So we can only hope that Gigabyte will provide a utility to implement this useful feature."
To summarize Green means safe but abnormal, Red means failure. What each light refers to should be in your mobo manual.

jlp

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010

Thank you for these information. But there are four LED, how do we know which is for CPU and which is for memory?

jlp

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010

This is the description of phase LED in the manual I can find: The number of lighted LEDs indicates the CPU loading. The higher the CPU loading, the more the number of lighted LEDs. It doesn't tell us the meaning of colors. Or the red light just means that there are too much loading on CPU?