Testing the Radeon 5970. Bunk data gpuz, ect..

lordvr2409

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
Okay, I've just got a 5970 and I've been testing it out. When removed all old drivers first and ran driver sweeper in safe mode. Then, I installed catalyst 10.9, however the screen turned black and got stuck like that so I had to just turn the computer on and off to get it going again. I left it like that with a black screen for around 40 minutes. Is there a possibility that drivers didn't install properly or something is wrong?

My card is being detected as Radeon 5900 series, and two gpus are being listed, but I'm getting weird data from gpuz and msi afterburner. It claims that gpu 1 has a temp or -1 C and is being used 200% of the time or some such nonsense. How am I to know what's going on with it? Does it mean the card is defective and one of the gpus is no good?

Also, I'm new to this dual gpu business, but I've downloaded the catalyst profile pack, and I don't see anyway to select game profiles or anything in catalyst control center. I'm not even sure crossfire is working at all. Given the -1 c and 200% report from msi and gpuz, does that mean it's not?

lordvr2409

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
Okay, I've tried something else since then, and confirmed that one of the gpus in fact isn't functioning at all.

I checked the device manager in Windows and it shows
a problem with one of the gpus Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)
If I disable, and then re-enable the gpu under device manager it then shows up with a normal temp under gpuz, msi burner, but I tested it in Starcraft 2 and gpu #1 is never ever used and is always at 0%, even when gpu#2 is at 99% and it's getting 15 fps and only using one GPU even in a custom game with a 100s of massed units battling it out.

How am I to know if it's a software problem or I got a bad card? (It's Chinese goods HIS brand ^^)

I haven't tried 10.4, but everyone uses 10.9 with this card and ordinarily has no problems from what I understand. The power supply is a beast, the gpus are running relatively cool at idle (55) and 70ish at load, so it's not a power or overheating issue.

lordvr2409

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
Okay guys, it's been a while. It turns out that both gpus starting working once I rolled back from Catalyst 10.9 to 10.8. But another problem has popped up. I can't get both gpus efficiently working. I get 99% efficiency from a single gpu but only 50-60% from dual gpus. I even tried it on Crysis and this was the case, although I did have brief spikes of 70-80% usage during which time I noticed my fps also skyrocketed. Could it be that Phenom II 965 is just too weak to handle a dual gpu setup and it's getting bottlenecked?