E Drive disappeared, PC logs on to temporary account

Fain

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
My computer has two storage drives; C drive (an SSD) and E drive (an HDD). When I logged on this morning I received the message that 'you have been logged on to a temporary account,' and when I looked in my computer my E drive was not displayed. My C drive contains the program files (and my windows installation, fortunately) but my E drive contained documents, downloads etc, so it's a bit of a pain to lose it. My OS is Windows 7, if that helps.

Things I've tried/discovered so far:

When I open my computer, only C & D drives are displayed.

When I open the device manager, my HDD is displayed, and the status is given as: 'This device is working properly.' Trying the automatic driver update stated that the drivers are up to date. In the 'volumes' tab, all of the quantities are blank.

I downloaded the 'Active File Recovery for Windows' program, which says that my HDD has a total size of 128GB (odd, seeing as it's a 1TB drive), and under the 'Not Initialised' heading says: 'MBR needs to be fixed.' I've found a couple of sites (including the official Microsoft one) offering a means of fixing this using the Windows 7 disk, but unfortunately I won't have access to that until Easter.

I've tried using regedit to fix the logging in as a temporary profile, as detailed on this site, but it hasn't worked - it just renames the correct folder as the backup, and creates a new one with ProfileImagePath C:\User\Temp.

I also tried a system restore to before the problem occurred, but it seems that only detected (and affected) C drive.

So is there anything else I should try, or is my hard drive irreparably stuffed up? I don't really care about the data on it, as I've only been using the computer for a few months, but it would be nice if I could get the drive working again (although it's still under warranty if I can't).

popatim

Titan
You can accomplish the mbr fix using a system recovery disk too. See if you can make one. I beleive you can since it only seems like your user account/folder cant be found.

Step one: Click Start > All Programs > Maintenance > Create a System Repair Disc

Step two: Insert a blank CD or DVD into your disc drive.

Step three: Click Create disc and let the program do its thing.

Once you have the disk you can boot from it and run the process to fix your boot record.

Fain

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011

Thanks, I'll grab some blank CDs and try that when I next head in to the shops on the weekend. Is there anything else I could try in the interim, or is that the only option?

Fain

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
Sorry about the late response popatim, I've had people staying and haven't been able to try your suggestion. I've created a system repair disk, booted from it, and now have a screen up on my computer with the following:

Choose a recovery tool:
Operating system: Unknown on (Unknown) Local Disk

Startup Repair
System Restore
System Image Recovery (NB: I looked at this earlier, but it couldn't find my system image)
Windows Memory Diagnostic
Command Prompt

I don't want to just pick at random until I find something that works, as it took the startup freezing several times to get this point and I don't want to have to go through that again. So which of these would I be needing? Or is this the wrong thing entirely?

EDIT: I changed my mind and ran the system repair and memory diagnostics, but neither achieved anything. I also tried a suggestion in another thread to rename the HDD back to E: in the device manager. This kind of worked, in that my drive is now accessible from My Computer, but it has no data on it and displays 32MB free of 100MB, which is a tad low.