Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Best place to buy laptop/WinXP Media Center

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 31, 2005 10:23:15 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hello, I am buying my first laptop, and have chosen the IBM
Thinkpad,2373, but I was wondering where is the best place to buy it
from, IBM themselves, online or phone, or one of the discount websites.
When you use other places than the company itself, do you get the same
follow-up service,etc? Do all the guarantees apply the same?

Also, has anyone heard when the WinXP Media Centerwill be included in
the ThinkPad,(I heard about three months, from tech) and if I should
wait until that is released to buy?

One more question, please, is it better (less expensive) to order extra
things like Norton Anti-Virus and Microsoft Office , Port rep or dock,
already installed, or install them later from their individual websites
?

Thank you,
Sand
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 31, 2005 1:37:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

sand wrote:

> Hello, I am buying my first laptop, and have chosen the IBM
> Thinkpad,2373, but I was wondering where is the best place to buy it
> from, IBM themselves, online or phone, or one of the discount websites.

Generally speaking IBM's online prices are pretty close to the discounters
if you're comparing equivalent specification.

> When you use other places than the company itself, do you get the same
> follow-up service,etc? Do all the guarantees apply the same?

With IBM, it doesn't matter where you get it as long as it's from an
authorized reseller.

> Also, has anyone heard when the WinXP Media Centerwill be included in
> the ThinkPad,(I heard about three months, from tech) and if I should
> wait until that is released to buy?

Why would you want this with a Thinkpad? If you don't have a tuner it
doesn't do anything for you that Winamp doesn't do just as well.

> One more question, please, is it better (less expensive) to order extra
> things like Norton Anti-Virus and Microsoft Office , Port rep or dock,
> already installed, or install them later from their individual websites

Compare pricing--generally there's a good discount if you buy everything at
once.

> ?
>
> Thank you,
> Sand

--
--John
Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 31, 2005 5:37:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hi John,

Thanks for that information. I think then I will just go with the
company site if all things are equal.
As far as wanting the WinXP Media Center, I don't know anything about
it other than I read from a product tester for IBM that it would be
better to wait for the next model of ThinkPad for this Media center, a
Firewire port, 2 more USB ports, 10 watt speakers insted of the 1 watt
ones, a better audio card, and a DVD+/-RW recorder with possibility for
dual-layer support. I don't know what half of these things are, just
that he said they would be better.

Thank you,
Sand
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 31, 2005 6:34:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

sand wrote:
> Hello, I am buying my first laptop, and have chosen the IBM
> Thinkpad,2373, but I was wondering where is the best place to buy it
> from, IBM themselves, online or phone, or one of the discount
websites.
> When you use other places than the company itself, do you get the
same
> follow-up service,etc? Do all the guarantees apply the same?
>
> Also, has anyone heard when the WinXP Media Centerwill be included in
> the ThinkPad,(I heard about three months, from tech) and if I should
> wait until that is released to buy?
>
> One more question, please, is it better (less expensive) to order
extra
> things like Norton Anti-Virus and Microsoft Office , Port rep or
dock,
> already installed, or install them later from their individual
websites
> ?
>
> Thank you,
> Sand


Hi Sand,
Just thought we would throw this out there. We are now offering
the Toshiba Qosmio laptop with XP Media Center Edition for over $300
off the regular price. You can order now at
http://www.siliconalleycomputers.com/highendnotebook.ht... .
It has all of the full benefit of hardware and software to make
full use of the XP Media Center OS.
Typically, you can find cheaper prices online and a little bit
more variety. Most of the time you can call the company and you should
anyway, whether you end up ordering online or not.
Most honest retailers will offer follow up service and additional
technical support for the products they sell. We do.
Your warranty is honored by the manufacturer themselves but you
should get a 30 day money back guarantee from a retailer, just to be
sure. We offer one. We also encourage our customers to register their
purchase with the manufacturer to ensure warranty coverage in our
"After You Buy" section.
Often you will get a better deal if you buy all of the additional
hardware and software with the machine itself. We offer individual
customized systems and laptops and discounts based on the customer's
purchase size and history with us.
If you would like more information, feel free to view our website
or contact us directly.
Silicon Alley Computers
www.siliconalleycomputers.com
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 1, 2005 8:35:59 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Re: "is it better (less expensive) to order extra
> things like Norton Anti-Virus and Microsoft Office"

With regard to software, it's better to obtain them on your own (not
necessarily from either the laptop maker or the software publisher) and
install them youself. Reasons:

-You can get them cheaper in almost all cases
-You get "full versions"
-You get CDs
-You have control of the installation and installation options


sand wrote:

> Hello, I am buying my first laptop, and have chosen the IBM
> Thinkpad,2373, but I was wondering where is the best place to buy it
> from, IBM themselves, online or phone, or one of the discount websites.
> When you use other places than the company itself, do you get the same
> follow-up service,etc? Do all the guarantees apply the same?
>
> Also, has anyone heard when the WinXP Media Centerwill be included in
> the ThinkPad,(I heard about three months, from tech) and if I should
> wait until that is released to buy?
>
> One more question, please, is it better (less expensive) to order extra
> things like Norton Anti-Virus and Microsoft Office , Port rep or dock,
> already installed, or install them later from their individual websites
> ?
>
> Thank you,
> Sand
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 1, 2005 10:22:25 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Thanks Barry, that makes sense and I will do that.

While I'm here, I'm having second thoughts about the right model for my
needs. Since I really don't need mobility other than around the house,
I was considering the G Series. But I'm not sure if I like the slanted
bottom, and wonder what the purpose of it is other than for typing?

Also, is this a bad time to buy right now, since the new model will be
coming out soon and may lower the prices of the current models? I can't
wait too long, as this computer is dying. Every day may be it's last
breath, and I don't want to get caught without one.

Thanks,
Sand
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 2, 2005 11:14:48 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"sand" <san6@charter.net> wrote in message
news:1107211074.880309.134560@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Hi John,
>
> Thanks for that information. I think then I will just go with the
> company site if all things are equal.
> As far as wanting the WinXP Media Center, I don't know anything about
> it other than I read from a product tester for IBM that it would be
> better to wait for the next model of ThinkPad for this Media center, a
> Firewire port, 2 more USB ports, 10 watt speakers insted of the 1 watt
> ones, a better audio card, and a DVD+/-RW recorder with possibility for
> dual-layer support. I don't know what half of these things are, just
> that he said they would be better.
>

I have this bridge for sale. Would you like to buy it?
!