March 7, 2013 1:37:51 AM

my current pc specs are
fx 8350 cpu
xfx ddbe 7970
16 gb ddr3
sabertooth 990fx r2 mobo
hx 750w psu
and a 1tb 7200 hdd
now i plan to keep my 1tb hdd for random things the main install files movies and things of that nature but far as booting and my games i want to store on a ssd im looking in the 480 -540 gb range price isnt to big of a issue lets say no more than $500 i want a very fast and reliable one what are the recommendations?

More about : recommendation ssd

March 7, 2013 1:49:59 AM

or is there a new line coming out i should wait for? if so more than willing to wait a week or so for a new line with better controller or memory.
March 7, 2013 6:04:15 AM

Kingstone hyper x is good better than samsung 840 pro.
It is also reliable and fast look at the bench.
Related resources
a c 257 G Storage
March 7, 2013 6:42:29 AM

I normally recommend Samsung. Crucial, Intel, and Plextor are also worth considering.

The current trend is to not purchase ssd's with SandForce Controllers. SandForce has not introduced a new controller in over 2 years. The SandForce controllers and the firmware were designed to work well with compressible data and had an advantage when running synthetic benchmarks. They did not do as well with when working with compressible data such as digital images, photos, videos, and films.

Modern 3d generation ssd's form a very small performance cluster. Users will not notice any difference in performance. Users would have to run benchmarks like the reviews sites in order to measure the differences. If it weren't for the synthetic benchmarks the authors of technical reviews would not have much to write about.

I maintain the ssd database listed in the sticky at the very top of this forum section. Here is the link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.ht...

Scroll down to the brands and models you are interested in You'll see the controller and type of memory used for each model. You can follow the links to the technical reviews.

alok_90 - You are only partially correct. The Kingston HyperX is an older drive with an old SandForce controller. More recently Kingston introduced the Hyper X 3K which is also equipped with an old SandForce controller. Hardware reviews indicate that among SandForce based ssd's the Hyper X 3K is the fastest ssd. The reviews also point out that newer ssd's with other controllers such as the Samsung 840 & 840 Pro and the OCZ Vector are faster than any SandForce based ssd's, including the Hyper X 3K. Take a look at the Hyper X 3K review published 2 days ago by TechPowerUP. There is a very good summary on the least page. Personally I do not take synthetic benchmarks very seriously because they do not accurately reflect real world performance.
March 7, 2013 5:47:05 PM

Wasn't the only difference between hyper x and hyper x 3k reliability.
3k has 3000 cycle and the other one 5000.

I heard that samsung 840 pro can't recover.
http://www.sweclockers.com/recension/16138-ssd-lagring-...
It is not so good after a torture test even if u trim it. It won't get its full speed.
a c 126 G Storage
March 7, 2013 9:04:01 PM

Blazn said:
or is there a new line coming out i should wait for?

There is. Up until now there only have been one SSD available in the consumer market which has decent protection against corruption: the Intel 320 (not 330 or any other series). This series is quite old and based on the original Intel X25-M controller using physically the same chip but only different firmware and hardware changes in the form of 25nm NAND paired with a power-safe capacitor array.

Probably in a few months, the Crucial M500 will be available which will be the first consumer-grade SSD that has decent protection since the introduction of the Intel 320. All other SSDs are inherently unsafe and can corrupt and kill itself simply by losing power. Samsung and Crucial M4 lack many protections that make a reliable SSD. But, they have fairly stable firmware. This is important, since the firmware is responsible for most SSD failures. About 80-90% of all SSD failures are software failures in the firmware.
!