Sign in with
Your question

What's your favorite graphics card manufactuer :D

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 29, 2010 5:15:41 PM

Everyone list their top 3 in order and why you favor them, quality, design, customer support.
This could be used as a reference thread for people looking to buy graphics cards.
a c 189 U Graphics card
September 29, 2010 5:19:31 PM

HIS, HIS and HIS.
I have 3 HIS cards, they are cheaper (cheap but have a decent quality) than any other brand and i never had a problem with HIS cards... :) 
a b U Graphics card
September 29, 2010 5:21:22 PM

I don't see the point of this thread. First you are looking for favorite graphics makes which depends on if your talking ATI or NVidia, second it opinion so you will get heavy bias, and lastly favorites tend to depend on the exact model. For example Asus makes uber cards that I would recommend for design but I don't like their normal level cards for their design. This is my opinion and shows bias without giving concern for quality or customer support.
Related resources
September 29, 2010 5:39:20 PM

deweycd said:
I don't see the point of this thread. First you are looking for favorite graphics makes which depends on if your talking ATI or NVidia, second it opinion so you will get heavy bias, and lastly favorites tend to depend on the exact model. For example Asus makes uber cards that I would recommend for design but I don't like their normal level cards for their design. This is my opinion and shows bias without giving concern for quality or customer support.

Eh, whatever. This is a simple thread and easy to understand. If you don't see the point then that's your fault.

Anyway for Nvidia i like

EVGA: Good customer service and warranties, they give you overclocking tools and overclocking does not void the warranty.
PNY: Good reliable cards, never had a problem with them
MSI: Is pretty cool, they have good card designs.
a b U Graphics card
September 29, 2010 5:53:40 PM

Since I said my beef, now I guess it would only be proper if I actually try and be helpful/nice. It may work best if this thread was created as a Poll, it would allow you to get a quick summary of what people like and as wa1 showed, a lot of people are going to have one brand they prefer over any others. It would save some reading and people can still post their reasoning for picking one brand over another.
September 29, 2010 6:18:19 PM

deweycd said:
Since I said my beef, now I guess it would only be proper if I actually try and be helpful/nice. It may work best if this thread was created as a Poll, it would allow you to get a quick summary of what people like and as wa1 showed, a lot of people are going to have one brand they prefer over any others. It would save some reading and people can still post their reasoning for picking one brand over another.

But there are a lot more GPU manufactuer's than 10.
a b U Graphics card
September 29, 2010 6:25:32 PM

fatedcloud said:
But there are a lot more GPU manufactuer's than 10.

Good point

My favorite for the longest time was MSI for NVidia cards as i liked their good quality and design but recently I tried out Sapphire for ATI cards and am incredibly impressed.
a c 624 U Graphics card
September 29, 2010 6:54:28 PM

Gainward and KFA2 for their cutting edge designs and high quality components. Unfortunately, both are only sold in Europe, so I won't be owning one any time soon. The last Gainward card I had, I had to import and kept in my case for years.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/kfa2-geforce-gtx-480-ltd-...
September 29, 2010 7:11:01 PM

My favorite is the one that builds the fastest card and with the best warranty.......
a c 231 U Graphics card
September 29, 2010 8:23:18 PM

Tech Support 101 (GFX Card Manufacturer):

Step 1 - Ask customer what is his problem.
Step 2 - Regardless of problem, tell customer problem stems from motherboard.

Tech Support 101 (MoBo Manufacturer):

Step 2 - Regardless of problem, tell customer problem stems from his GFX card.

Having "been there and experienced that" .... that kind of experience makes me consider grabbing both from the same manufacturer when all things are otherwise equal. I generally limit my choices to Asus, EVGA and XFX. I most often use Asus MoBos for their abundant OC features and responsive TS so that always has me looking at least at the Asus card. However, I also like Asus' voltage tweaking option and of late, ya can often find a factory tweaked Asus version at about the same price as the other manufacturer's "stock" version. Since the 4xx series, they also are at the lower end of the price scale w/ many instant or mail in rebates that make that card "a deal".

The factory tweaked and great TS experience comments also applies to EVGA . Yes, you can generally OC the card yourself but having that guarantee is handy. My son had a factory OC'd card from EVGA which simply wouldn't maintain the factory OC'd speed after he installed Starcraft 2. Not that it was unique to the game .... when the card was 1st installed, he played a lot of demanding games, but over the ensuing months the things he was doing just didn't do enough to push it. After SC2, we went back and played the old games (Crysis, Batman AA, etc) and it would go down. Yes, we removed the card, blew out the dust and all the other SOP steps. But now the vendor is replacing the card because it was "Guaranteed" to perform above stock levels....had he OC'd it himself, that just wouldn't have happened.

In short, I'd give it a tie between Asus and EVGA.....with XFX as the next in line.

September 29, 2010 8:27:55 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
Tech Support 101 (GFX Card Manufacturer):

Step 2 - Regardless of problem, tell customer problem stems from motherboard.

Tech Support 101 (MoBo Manufacturer):

Step 2 - Regardless of problem, tell customer problem stems from his GFX card.

Having "been there and experienced that" .... that kind of experience makes me consider grabbing both from the same manufacturer when all things are otherwise equal. I generally limit my choices to Asus, EVGA and XFX. I most often use Asus MoBos for their abundant OC features and responsive TS so that always has me looking at least at the Asus card. However, I also like Asus' voltage tweaking option and of late, ya can often find a factory tweaked Asus version at about the same price as the other manufacturer's "stock" version. Since the 4xx series, they also are at the lower end of the price scale w/ many instant or mail in rebates that make that card "a deal".

The factory tweaked and great TS experience comments also applies to EVGA . Yes, you can generally OC the card yourself but having that guarantee is handy. My son had a factory OC'd card from EVGA which simply wouldn't maintain the factory OC'd speed after he installed Starcraft 2. Not that it was unique to the game .... when the card was 1st installed, he played a lot of demanding games, but over the ensuing months the things he was doing just didn't do enough to push it. After SC2, we went back and played the old games (Crysis, Batman AA, etc) and it would go down. Yes, we removed the card, blew out the dust and all the other SOP steps. But now the vendor is replacing the card because it was "Guaranteed" to perform above stock levels....had he OC'd it himself, that just wouldn't have happened.

In short, I'd give it a tie between Asus and EVGA.....with XFX as the next in line.

Don't forget you can also manually Overclock an EVGA card yourself and not void the warranty :3
September 29, 2010 9:20:09 PM

Hmms for some reason it seems I prefer the mobo manufacturers for graphics cards (Asus, Gigabyte, MSI). Sapphire used to be one of my favorites but their customer service is pretty bad.
a b U Graphics card
September 29, 2010 9:30:13 PM

MSI and Gigabyte for the custom solutions (Twin Frozr II HSF, Super Overclock models, Ultra Durable, Military Class, etc...)
EVGA for customer service.
September 29, 2010 9:34:01 PM

^ Agreed, Sapphire is really bad for customer service. Used to get their cards exclusively till my x800 xt went and they just flat out ignored me. Wouldn't even bother to try and give me the run around or anything.
September 29, 2010 10:11:09 PM

I've only owned cards from BFG (still running thank God) and EVGA. EVGA rma'd my 9600gt with very few questions asked and when I got it back it was a newer, slimmer version that ran cooler. However, I was responsible for paying shipping (some 20$) which I don't think I should have been. In any case, they covered the card and the process was easy, so when I bought my 460 I bought it from them.
a b U Graphics card
September 29, 2010 10:16:46 PM

Powercolor makes card for cheap. Honestly it is all the same thing except maybe a custom cooler, so why wouldn't I pick the cheaper one.

Their RMA goes through just fine.

While Asus and Sapphire has their crazy air cooling ATI cards, Powercolor is the only one making cards with waterblocks so you don't have to void your own warranty.

As for Nvidia side, I only ever used EVGA and they have a great line of products.

All in all you shouldn't be concerned about particular brands, but rather the individual products themselves since there is little variation between reference design cards.

Now monitors on the other hand differ drastically by brand despite using the same panel.
September 30, 2010 1:46:47 AM

I've owned:

3 Sapphire cards with 0 issues
2 Visiontek cards with 0 issues
2 Asus cards, 1 with suspected issues (still working on that)
2 MSI cards with 0 issues

I've only dealt with tech support on the Asus, and they are just average. Quick to RMA, but returned card without explanation of repair, and would not work with me in any way, i.e. ship me a new card and charge my card, and then credit when you get the bad card.

I did own a Gainward way back on a GeForce 2. It was a Golden Sample and it ran like a champ for a few years.
October 1, 2010 10:33:41 PM

Rather than a favorite, I will issue a warning.

Powercolor, in my experience, has poor customer service.

I had a HD 5770 die after three months and the RMA process was a hassle. The RMA staff was at best disinterested, and on one occasion, blatantly rude.
When I received the ''new card'' it had been shipped with a single sheet of bubble wrap, I am surprised that it was in working condition after the shipping trauma. Also, there was no included information, no diagnosed problem, no info on the fix, no warranty info, nothing at all.

If possible, avoid Powercolor.

October 1, 2010 10:35:42 PM

Most of my graphics cards have been sapphire and I haven't had any issues with them. I know they have a reputation for atrocious customer service though.
!