PSU died, replaced it but no viedeo. Need help

dergreen

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
I left my Compaq Presario SR2038X hibernating :sleep: one night and returned to find no power on it. I pulled the PSU and tried it in an old machine I have and determined it was shot. I bought a CX430 PSU and installed it (I believe correctly) but now it is still not working correctly. I get power to all of the fans and can hear things start up but it doesn't POST and I get no feedback from the monitor.The old PSU was 350W so I think there should be enough power. I have tried another monitor but still no luck. I looked at the capacitors on the motherboard as well as the motherborad itself and there is no visible damage. I took it to a local shop and they told me to try pulling each DIMM of ram and trying each slot, as well as pulling the video card and trying the onborad video. Unfortunately since it's a Compaq I can't seem to find a MOBO for it because of the "proprietary configuration" as I was told. If the RAM and Video card don't solve this is there anything else I can check or should I cough up for a new system :cry: ? Does any one have any ideas as to what steps I should take next or advice on how to handle this? THANKS

The 1st thing I would do is reset the bios including removing the bios battery for 15 mins if possible.

Remove power cord
Press power button a few times to drain power
Switch bios jumper to clear
Remove bios battery
Leave 15 mins
Replace battery
Switch jumper back
Apply power and try.

wribbs

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
I would take this as a sign from a higher power to start building a new PC. You can keep dinking around with this one for a bit but it sounds like whatever took out your PSU probably didn't stop there.
You might give the PSU and mobo a sniff to see if they smell like crispy electronics for grins, although it might be gone.

dergreen

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011

Thanks, I'll give that a try as well. After this is done if it corrects the problem what will I need to do to re-instate the bios?

It will reset itself to default setting so unless you had changed any setting before nothing. :D

dergreen

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
I have now tried each individual dimm of ram, separately, removed the video card, reset the bios and tried the onboard video. Unfortunately get the same results...No video just fans. Video card is a Foxconn P900 and doesn't have a PCI-E connector.
Anything left to try or should I bust out the credit card?

1 or 2 mins isn't guarenteed enough time, I've had bios resets take 30 mins plus.

Its not looking good but I'd still want to make sure of the bios reset.

The bios jumper is usually near or next to the bios battery and will be a plastic 2 pin slot with 3 pins available.

You swith it to the middle and spare slot to clear and then switch back again before turning on.

dergreen

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
I took out the battery for 15min found the jumper switched it and let it sit for 30+ seconds, replaced both started machine and ....Nothing unfortunately just fans still.

dergreen

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
Okay the story just took a very strange turn... My daughter's computer mouse just stopped responding, so she reset system and now the monitor isn't responding. I just tried replacing monitor with the other and no luck...Deja Vu with the "NOT RESPONDING" video screens. Now I'm dealing with 2 very similar situations. Daughter's PSU seems OK powers up and posts but no video. I pulled the Video card and rebooted it of Onboard but it didn't help. I have reset the BIOS and I can see the startup screen but it cuts out if I hit F1 or jusst let it boot. However I did hit F10 to get into recovery mode(It's a Compaq as well) and it displayed the recovery screen. (Don't really want to wipe out the hard drive yet thought)
OMG I might snap today!