Sign in with
Your question

Amd athlon x3 440

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 18, 2011 7:28:01 AM

i recently unlocked my amd athlon x3 440 3.0 to phenom x4 ....stable
i have a query ...
1. the mobo is asus m4a78lt m le .....is it okay if i use it everyday .....
temps from hwmoniter (on stock hsf and no o.c)
cpu temp :44c~ idle 52c~ on load
mobo temp :38c~ idle 41c~ on load
core temps:61c (i guess they are wrong, enlighten me)
other temps...
gpu:48c~ idle
and can i unlock l3 cache if yes how to... a

More about : amd athlon 440

a b à CPUs
February 18, 2011 7:38:00 AM

Most of time getting the CPU to unlock at all is lucky. It is not guaranteed. And most people never get the L3 cache unlocked. The x3's are usually a Phenom x3 or x4 with a defective core or cache.

To test stability... find the software you most trust to check realtime temps. I usually use Speedfan, but some people say it sucks, I think it is pretty close. Also, you should download Prime95 and run a mixed stress test for a few hours to check the unlocked core is stable.

If the computer bluescreens or locks up, then the core is not stable. Also, if it does not lock up, and Prime95 just has an error on the worker thread for a core, then that core is not stable. I usually open speedfan and check my CPU temps, then start the Prime95 test and watch the Speedfan temps for 30 minutes to make sure it does not exceed 65-70 degrees. If it does, I will change the heatsink fan or make sure it has good ventilation. But if the core temps stay below 65, I will let Prime95 run for 4-12 hours while I do something else.

Upon returning with no errors, you will know if the unlocked core is stable. And by the average temps that speedfan tracked, you will know if you need better cooling too.

But 10 minutes after you start Prime95 on the Intel stress test and you notice the temps are above 70 degrees C, you should stop the stress test and invest in better cooling or turn the core off again. Excessive heat will bork your system fast.

Also note, some errors in Prime95 mixed tests are memory errors and not CPU related. If one of the worker threads closes or stops with an error, you should also check out your memory.

Just google for Speedfan and Prime95. Read about a little before downloading so you keep the heat and things in safe limits and know how to read any errors you might get. :D 
m
l
a c 111 à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 18, 2011 11:49:50 AM

X3 Rana chips are seldom Deneb (Phenom) cores --- think Propus.

IIRC, the Propus die is around 170mm^2 ... a PhII die 260mm^2. There is no 'L3' on a Propus die to unlock.
m
l
Related resources
February 18, 2011 12:09:29 PM

i read about people unlocking athlon x3 to phenoms x4 (with l3).
i guess i have to be happy with what i have :bounce:  :bounce:  ...atleast it unlocked to 4 cores.... :D  :D 

m
l
a c 111 à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 18, 2011 12:16:58 PM

ansonjoy007 said:
i read about people unlocking athlon x3 to phenoms x4 (with l3).
i guess i have to be happy with what i have :bounce:  :bounce:  ...atleast it unlocked to 4 cores.... :D  :D 

Yup.

But remember, once you unlock be very distrustful of monitor and reporting software. They can go crazy wrong.

Your reported 52c at load may be quite low --- give it the old 'finger-test'. Should be warm, of course, but not enough to fry your skin

:lol: 

m
l
February 18, 2011 1:14:16 PM

i ran prime95 and the temps were freakinhly high 66c after 30min ....though on normal use (50 - 60 % load on cpu) the temps tops at 52-55c...
the readings are from bios and hwmoniter..
i noticed cpu vcore at 1.39min and 1.41max can in decrease it ?..and maybe the temps go down by 3c-5c
and also in hwmoniter it shows power by processor 140w whereas in asus(epu4 engine) soft it shows ~35w min and ~60w is it okay...
image of hwmoniter
http://i51.tinypic.com/adj1p4.jpg
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2011 2:46:53 PM

I would recommend that you change to a better CPU cooler if you want to run all 4 cores. When you do something CPU intensive like playing games or video encoding, your heat levels will be higher with all 4 cores active. If you ran the stress test or mixed tests for a few hours and nothing had errors and the system didn't crash, then you are probably safe to use 4 cores.

Only heat is your enemy. And it is possible that the CPU could be using 140 watts. Before the C3 steppings of the Phenoms, most of them were 140 watts. After some revisions they got it down to 125w.

As for the vcore, AMDs are high... it's normal. If you lower it, your system will probably crash under full load.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2011 3:05:27 PM

I would recommend an aftermarket HS if you plan to run it with 4 cores enabled. I have a 445 unlocked and with the stock HS I would reach 63C in stress tests. I replaced it with a aftermarket cooler and it now runs 44C max under stress. The stock HS they provide isnt meant to cool a quad and its added heat.

You can most likely lower your Vcore. Each chip is a little different but I lowered mine from 1.41 to 1.29 and it runs stable there.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2011 3:23:48 PM

The Vcore is normal between 0.850-1.425V... that is stock for almost all 4 core AMD chips. If you still have C1E enabled, then your multiplier and Vcore will reduce themself when the CPU isn't under a heavy load. Intel chips have a lower core voltage than AMD. There is no reason to lower your Vcore since it is in the stock parameters. My x4 965 during load usually sits around 1.39v and during idle .88v.

Don't worry about it unless you have a problem.
m
l
a c 111 à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 18, 2011 3:35:16 PM

Baralis said:
I would recommend an aftermarket HS if you plan to run it with 4 cores enabled. I have a 445 unlocked and with the stock HS I would reach 63C in stress tests. I replaced it with a aftermarket cooler and it now runs 44C max under stress. The stock HS they provide isnt meant to cool a quad and its added heat.

You can most likely lower your Vcore. Each chip is a little different but I lowered mine from 1.41 to 1.29 and it runs stable there.

[:jaydeejohn:5]

Every chip is different but some AMDs will take a nice undervolt - even unlocked. I've dropped my load at the wall by as much as 33% (to 127w with my PhII 550BE 'quad' ! ). At 1.18v/load:

The OP may be able to manually drop his volts, remain unlocked, cool things down nicely and save some bucks on his power bill.

m
l
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2011 3:43:11 PM

I always say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

But to each his own. And if C1E and power management features are enabled... I don't see how much money you save considering the CPU underclocks the multiplier and voltage when it isn't under load by default. If you run all 4 cores at 100% load all day, then decreasing the voltage a little might save you a $1 or 2. But if you disable the power management to begin with, what is the point in undervolting to save power in the first place?
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2011 3:48:21 PM

If he really wants to save power that much, he should just disable the core he just enabled. LOL :p 
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2011 4:00:31 PM

1965ohio said:
I always say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

But to each his own. And if C1E and power management features are enabled... I don't see how much money you save considering the CPU underclocks the multiplier and voltage when it isn't under load by default. If you run all 4 cores at 100% load all day, then decreasing the voltage a little might save you a $1 or 2. But if you disable the power management to begin with, what is the point in undervolting to save power in the first place?

I wasn't thinking about power savings when I lowered mine. I just didn't like mine running at the recommended max voltage when it wasn't necessary. *shrugs*
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2011 4:15:55 PM

If I had an Intel chip that ran with such a high Vcore, I would be worried... but AMD usually runs minimum to maximum with the standard power saving features. Intel can turn off the power to cores when the CPU is idle, AMD cannot, so they always under-clock the heck out of it. Most of my encounters with lowering the stock vcore on AMD lead to instability in my system when I tried to play Crysis it would reboot, or when I do video encoding with Vcore set to 1.35 it would also be unstable. So I set it all back and left it alone. But each chip is different and AMD does make a pretty wide margin for their Vcore... it's actually a little scary the stock voltage is so high. If you could reduce it and have maximum stability, I would think you could save a lot of heat, but not much power if you still always keep it loaded 100% on 4 cores.
m
l
February 19, 2011 2:58:47 AM

will case fans help probably one for intake and one for blowing air out ....as of how the psu fan is only one i have.
or will aftermarket cooler is better??? which one??for 30$..not more.
atm i using epu-4 engine that comes with asus mobo ...
http://tinypic.com/r/2w5tudl/7
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 19, 2011 3:18:41 AM

Wisecracker said:
But remember, once you unlock be very distrustful of monitor and reporting software. They can go crazy wrong.

OP, is your bios up to date ? Normally when you enable ACC you loose core temps period and they will read 0c. If your bios is current, on an asus mb TMPIN0 is the cpu socket temp and TMPIN1 is the mb. Lock your cpu bagk to an x3 and observe the relationship between tmpin0 and core temps at idle and load. When you enable ACC again you will know how core temps relate to tmpin0, I'll bet socket temp only increases about 1 or 2c when unlocked to an x4.

@wisecracker, does that B50 have core temps ?

just a thought for you op...try pcrobe too

m
l
February 19, 2011 3:27:37 AM

using the the bios that came installed with mobo.....on using 3 cores the the core temps for all 3 cores are at 33c idle and 48c on load .......
cpu temps at idle 38c-43c and 52c on load
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 19, 2011 4:37:41 AM

so the cores are never hotter than the socket...
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 19, 2011 8:26:41 AM

Most good setups include at least 2 - 120mm silent fans. One in the front for intake that blows cool air in around your GPU. The other to pull air out behind your CPU. This creates a good airflow. But if your PSU has a 120mm fan and it is mounted above your CPU, it will likely pull away the hot air anyways. If your PSU is bottom mounted, definitely go for at least 1 fan to pull the air away from the CPU... the intake isn't all that important if you have a lot of vents and the GPU doesn't run hot.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 19, 2011 8:30:06 AM

And buying an aftermarket cooler for the CPU is a good idea whether you add case fans or not. The stock heatsink was designed for the original x3 and once unlocked the heat will be that of the x4 or higher sometimes... I don't know exactly what your heatsink looks like for the x2 or x3 Athlons, but the stock heatsink for the x3/4 Phenom Black Editions has heatpipes and is very good anyways. You only need to change it if you are going to overclock above 3.8GHz on air because then the fan will be too loud.
m
l
February 20, 2011 10:57:23 AM

i was not planning on o.c anytime soon. bought two case fans one for side intake blows air on gpu .an exhaust at the back .
runs about 5c cooler.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 20, 2011 11:43:55 AM

That should be sufficient. When you have all 4 cores unlocked and can keep the CPU cool, it should be stable on the stock CPU heatsink.
m
l
!