Nvidia Geforce 9200 upgrade to Nvidia Geforce 9800GTX+

G

Im not exactly computer savvy at the moment but I recently bought a Nvidia 9800GTX+ and tried to install it, however, when I do it still says that the 9200 is my "Main" Graphics card.. I think? The Vista Start up screen detects that one but not the 9800GTX+.

I tried Disabling the 9200 but that just caused my Monitor to loose signal forcing me to restart my PC.

After which my 9800 started getting code 43, although it didnt have this error when the 9200 was the "Main"

Im probbably doing something freakishly obvious, and if I am, Im sorry.

Also, whist on the topic, My PC is getting outdated, ill post my specs and itd be nice to get some cheap reccomendations or immediate upgrades that I need.

Operating System
MS Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Phenom X3 8550 34 °C
Toliman 65nm Technology
RAM
3.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard
Acer WMCP78M (Socket AM2 )
Graphics
@ 1280x1024
NVIDIA GeForce 9200 (Acer Incorporated [ALI])
ForceWare version 260.63
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ (Undefined)
ForceWare version 260.63
SLI Disabled
Hard Drives
313GB Hitachi Hitachi HDT721032SLA SCSI Disk Device (IDE)
Optical Drives
ATAPI DVD A DH16A6S SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
High Definition Audio Device

G

If you mean the Voltage its 220 - 240 V..

Im really really bad with technical stuff, but if your specific ill get the info really quickly.

Sticker on the side reads 220 - 240v.

christiangordon

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
220w is not enough. Sounds like you need a new PSU. I would verify that you have a 220w first. If you could unscrew your PSU from the Case and type out the data displayed on it so that we may know the brand model and 12v @_amps

G

Output Continue Power 220W
+3.3V === 13A

12v === 14A

3.3V &+5V total output not exceed 220W

then a bunch of Chinese Symbols.

Is a suitable PSU going to cost me alot?

Oy...

From Nvidia's website: 9800GTX+ Minimum Recommended System Power 450W

Most people on here know that it's not really the watts, but the amps on the +12V rail that are important... so don't go out and buy a crap 450W PSU. Your PSU only has 14A. You should have closer to 30A to run a high end video card.

Also, did you plug in the auxiliary power on the video card (6-pin power connectors)?

This PSU will get you the power you need: Corsair 550W

G

How big is the Corsair? I have an Acer 3200 Aspire with a compact case so theres really not much room in there to fit a large PSU.. I had to mutilate the case with a saw to get the 9800 in there ( I was careful ).

Also, If I dont upgrade my PSU will the graphics card still be better then the 9200?

Annndd. I have no clue what pin connectors are "/ Im assuming theyre the little white or yellow clips that come out of the PSU but theyre all cabled up and I cant see any spare ones.

Thanks for your help, sorry im not very helpful though > <

G

When I try to boot the PC with the 9800 Plugged in I get a message that says "VGA no input" I have to remove it to get the PC to boot.. do you know why?

G

I tell a lie, the PC boots but the screen has no image or anything so I cant see the Bios or Splash screen.

There are a number of problems:

#1 Your case is a low-profile case, it takes low-profile video cards, the 9800GTX+ is a full size card (and a big one at that!)
#2 The 9800GTX+ requires more amps than your power supply can give, it also requires external power that you don't have
#3 Your 220W power supply is a proprietary size so it cannot be upgraded to a more powerful unit
#4 You chopped up your case to fit the 9800GTX+, so I'm not sure you can go back to a proper low-profile card

You have three options:

#1 Take back your 9800GTX+ and get a low profile card that will work with your power supply. Like this. Low-profile cards will be weak for gaming, if that is your goal.
#2 Transfer all of your computer components to a full size case, and get a proper power supply that will power a 9800GTX+. (this might not work because the motherboard or front panel connectors may be proprietary).
#3 Give up on this project and call it a lesson learned. Save up for a new computer.