DG834GT doesnt work with WEP

JohnCat

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
Hello, I am trying to set up WEP security on my DG834GT wireless router accessed through a WG111v3 adapter. It works fine unsecured but when I switch WEP on I can connect to teh router but not access the internet. The message I get is that it cannot acquire an IP Address. The router is set to act as a DHCP

Your Netgear is doing you a favour really because WEP is pretty ineffectual these days and is easily hacked, particularly by teenagers looking for vulnerable networks though which to download Copyright music. If yours is that vulnerable, you could have difficulty explaining it wasn't you.

Let the computers have automatic DHCP set and the router merely offer out addresses.

G

If you have to use WEP, for toys (sorry, games machines) I think you need to look at some other settings. Switching to WPA won't help.

It's possible you've just messed up with WEP password or using 128bit where 64bit was needed but I think I would also check TCP/IP Properties.

Start, Connect To, Connection, Properties, Scroll Down TCP/IP and highlight, click Properties and check that Obtain DNS and IP address automatically are enabled.

JohnCat

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
Thanks for the reply.

I am not using games machines so from what people say I need to move to WPA anyway.

I had already checked that Obtain DNS and IP Address automatically were set.

I think it unlikely that I have messed up the wep key. Netgear provides a simple way of generating the key you enter a word and it generates the key from that. As I am using Netgear router and Netgear USB adaptor I can use the same method on both sides. I have however also checked the key carefully.

Thanks anyway.

G

As you say, moving to WPA TKIP PSK is a better option. Try it and see if the problem goes away.

optimusprime619

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
hi..the netgear smart wizard is an unreliable software..of the two options...create with passphrase and enter key manually,i'd suggest that rather than generating the passphrase on router's end and using with the adapter...select enter key manually and use the default 64-bit assuming its the 10 digit hex code or 128 bit if its 26 digits and connect....otherwise disable the netgear wireless assistant and use Windows Wireless Zero Configuration to connect..
also if you are going to connect a new device to wireless that runs non netgear adapter you'll have a tough time copying the random generated phrase and using it over the other end...

Even though this thread has been dead for a good two weeks, it's worth pointing out that it's far better to have a one-off tough time than a ten digit 64 bit WEP key a ten year old can crack.[/#000ff]