Sign in with
Your question

My files in my USB are turned into shortcut

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
March 7, 2013 7:14:19 AM

Hello,
When i opened my USB, there is a shortcut. It says "My Removable Device (8GB)". Under it, it says "Shortcut (1KB)". And i cannot open it. In the "Properties", it says that the storage is nearly empty. But before, my USB is almost full. I tried searching for answers to my problem then finally, I recovered the .doc files but not the photos and movies. Then now, it says that the capacity of my USB is only 2 GB, but it is supposed to be 8GB. What happened? Can I recover the photos and videos? Pls. help me...

March 8, 2013 2:37:05 AM

Have you run the anti-virus scan to test your USB drive?
Sometimes, the virus attack will cause these shortcuts problems so that you cannot find your files inside it.
So, in your case, you should first try a free USB drive recovery tool to regain all your inner data and then formatted this drive to clean itself clean.
Honestly, this freeware helped a lot as the flash drive of my friend was corrupted. It restored all his files back, including 100 images, 12 files and 20 videos. You should give it a shot: http://blog4mark.blogspot.com/2012/11/how-to-repair-cor...
In the future, you should do regular anti-virus scan and data backup in case of data loss.
m
l
March 8, 2013 12:12:56 PM

Glenrich suggested that your problem might be caused by a virus, and that got me thinking... If it is caused by a virus, it's possible that the files are still on the drive, but are hidden. Assuming that you're using Windows, if you open up any Windows Explorer Window (like "My Computer"), on the bar at the top, click on tools>folder options>view and make sure the box marked "show hidden files and folders" is checked. Hit apply, and see if anything else shows up in your flash drive. If your files do show up, you can select them, right-click on them, click on "properties" and uncheck the "hidden" option to unhide them. Then I would go back into the folder options window that you were in before and uncheck the "show hidden files and folders" box again. If this method does help, then I would definitely suggest running a virus scan on the drive and on your whole computer to check for any problems. I would suggest MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, and/or SuperAntiSpyware.
m
l
Related resources
June 11, 2013 4:40:59 PM

IMSS Systems
Most Complete
USB Protector iMyth Security systems it's the most complete usb protector in the world it's a Monitor System & Anti-Virus & Anti-Link Infection & Anti-Worm & Complete System Tools & Much More.
------------------------------------------------
www.im-ss.net
m
l
June 11, 2013 4:41:44 PM

IMSS Systems
Most Complete
USB Protector iMyth Security systems it's the most complete usb protector in the world it's a Monitor System & Anti-Virus & Anti-Link Infection & Anti-Worm & Complete System Tools & Much More.
www.im-ss.net

m
l
August 31, 2013 12:47:39 PM

I get the same issu whene trying to move video clips from computer to computer with my 16GB Sony USB but they show as shortcuts
m
l
September 13, 2013 8:30:41 AM

Most of the time it's a virus which turned files in usb into shortcut. I have a usb drive last time which also turned into shortcut and not able to access files on the usb drive, then I found this tutorial which helped me: how to recover files which turned into shortcut

You may use virus scan software to scan the usb and kill the virus. A free one is avg
http://free.avg.com/ww-en/homepage

you may also try norton or mcafee
http://us.norton.com/
http://www.mcafee.com/us/
m
l
September 20, 2013 7:37:00 AM

hey dude. i had the same problem. check this http://ph.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101018... just did it and worked perfectly. only 1 extra thing. i couldn't delete the empty hidden forder co i cut/pasted all the files i needed to my pc, formated the usb drive, and then i put them back!
m
l
September 20, 2013 8:41:49 AM

Hello,
When i opened my USB, there is a shortcut. It says "My Removable Device (8GB)". Under it, it says "Shortcut (1KB)". And i cannot open it. In the "Properties", it says that the storage is nearly empty. But before, my USB is almost full. I tried ..............

Just open winrar and move up folder by folder until u reach My Computer.
There select ur pendrive and open it in winrar and open the first (unnamed drive looking like) folder and u will find all ur files there. Create a backup of ur files and format ur pendrive and scan ur system with new updated antivirus.
But i still dont know the virus which is causing this.
Any help would be great.
m
l
October 6, 2013 7:25:18 AM

just go to start and type the cmd then type your drives letter e.g. g:
and press enter after that type the following
attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.*
and press enter.
m
l
December 15, 2013 9:36:52 AM

ImssSystems said:
IMSS Systems
Most Complete
www.im-ss.net

DO NOT DOWNLOAD IMSS, IT IS ITSELF LIKE A VIRUS, FOLLOW THIS attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.* WHERE g IS YOUR USB DRIVE LETTER, IT WORKED FOR ME NICE.
m
l
!