BigGuyz

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
Hey Guys,

Not sure if the is the right forum for this but the system I have should be more than enough to play WoW on, but for some reason in 25 man raids I have to turn the graphics down to the lowest settings just to get around 30 fps during boss fights...if the raid is just standing there my fps stays at 60 but once the encounters start (spell graphics and such) it drops to 30, again this is at the lowest graphic settings,
I fell it shouldn't drop to 30 until my graphics are set to "Good-High" Any suggestions?

System Specs:

i5 dual core HT 650 3.2 ghz
Windows 7 Home
6 gigs DDR3
Sapphire 6850 HD
Corsair 650WTX
Screen Rez: 1680 x 1050 60htz
Drivers: 11.2 CCC

Also I haven't really messed with the screen rez in-game, it is set to 1024 x 768 because thats what my old graphics card could handle (5670), although not sure the screen rez would "bottleneck" the performance.

BigGuyz

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
The system is a Dell studio XPS 8100, I have had it for about 9 months....So it came with the OS installed

So I guess to answer your question Dell instaled the OS 9 months ago

johnb0118

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
You should reinstall your OS every six months (at least) anyhow. I would do a backup and reinstall the OS fresh, not Dell's image. If you are still getting low frame rates at that point then you have reason to suspect a type of hardware failure. Run a memory test (memtest86), then run a hard drive test (visit the manufacturers website for the download. Then run furmark, which is a gpu stability test. My guess is that a reinstall will likely fix your issues, but if it doesn't refer to testing your hardware.

calinkula

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
It's most likely all the bloat-ware and crap-ware that comes on consumer PCs. They even ship crappy custom divers and utilities too on these things.

A clean install of the OS will probably fix it, but most PCs don't come with a Windows disc anymore. And you'll need to know what drivers to get to make sure you can get all the hardware working again without anything crap that might be in the dell drivers.

You could try identifying what is sucking down performance and clean out the junk.

voltagenic

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
I use a program called game booster:

http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

It helps close unnecssecary background processes and frees up ram prior to playing a game....or whenever u need a speed up. It also has some other nifty features too, like telling you if your drivers are outta date etc...

Yes increase your resolution for sure. I'd say use your default desktop resolution. I mean, why have a monster of a system like that and not enjoy the best quality/performance you can squeeze out of it?