Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

lossless Coolpix raw to tiff conversion

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 11:28:08 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Hi!
Nikons NEF format has 12bit per colour, yet nikon editor creates
8bit tiffs from it. Is there any way to create tiff images with 12bit
per channel?

Lots of Greetings!
Volker
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 11:28:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 20:28:08 +0100, in rec.photo.digital Volker Hetzer
<volker.hetzer@gmx.de> wrote:

>Nikons NEF format has 12bit per colour, yet nikon editor creates
>8bit tiffs from it.

Only if you choose the 8-bit selection in the Save As dialog box. Choose
the 16-bit selection.
----------
Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Usenet@EdwardG.Ruf.com)
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/index...
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 1:32:41 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Ed Ruf wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 20:28:08 +0100, in rec.photo.digital Volker Hetzer
> <volker.hetzer@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>
>>Nikons NEF format has 12bit per colour, yet nikon editor creates
>>8bit tiffs from it.
>
>
> Only if you choose the 8-bit selection in the Save As dialog box. Choose
> the 16-bit selection.
Yes, the first time I tried it it was greyed out, but I assume I
accidentally tried to do this from a jpg file.
In fact I cancelled that message shortly after I sent it but you
responded before the article got removed. :-)

Thanks anyway!
Volker
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 8:57:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In message <csef87$eoc$1@svr7.m-online.net>,
Volker Hetzer <volker.hetzer@gmx.de> wrote:

>Hi!
>Nikons NEF format has 12bit per colour, yet nikon editor creates
>8bit tiffs from it. Is there any way to create tiff images with 12bit
>per channel?

The choice is usually 8 or 16 bit per color channel in the output files.
There are no common 12-bit file standards, and really, if you want to
keep most of the original data as closely as possible, you need 16-bit
graphics files to represent 12-bit RAW data, because they are completely
different modes of representation. The RAW data represents actual light
levels, and graphics files generally use data that represents subjective
levels, so they don't match up very well. A 12-bit graphic file would
have more capability than the RAW 12-bit file at showing shadow detail,
but it would get that detail from the 12-bit RAW, and not make any good
of the extra precision. The 12-bit graphic file would have less detail
in the highlights, with multiple RAW levels rounding off to the same
12-bit value in the graphic file.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
!