Setting Up SSD boot disk

li0nhart79

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
I have read a few posts on here about this topic but I was looking for some clarification. I am considering getting an SSD to use for Windows 7. As I understand it I can rig it so that windows boots from the SSD, but everything else on my compute can be installed on my normal hard drive. Is this correct? Or do programs need to be installed on the SSD as well with their saved files on the HDD?

Solution

I think what you're asking is whether or not you can use your SSD to boot from, but still use another drive for storing programs and personal files/other data, and the answer is yes. That is what I'm currently doing with my PC. For personal files, you can change the location of all of the folders in your user folder (documents, videos...

ws1173

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012

I think what you're asking is whether or not you can use your SSD to boot from, but still use another drive for storing programs and personal files/other data, and the answer is yes. That is what I'm currently doing with my PC. For personal files, you can change the location of all of the folders in your user folder (documents, videos, music, etc.) so that they are located on another drive. As far as programs go, most programs give you the option to change the install location when you initially install it. However, if you get a large enough SSD that you can install programs on it, I would recommend doing so. SSDs have much faster read/write times (most likely the reason that you're getting one), so programs that are installed on it will load up faster. Personally, I went with the OCZ Agility 3 240GB SSD so that I would have enough room for the OS and all my programs (including some games that take up about 10GB each).

Solution
Similar questions were asked when consumer ssd's were first introduced. They were very expensive by today's standards. Users who purchased small capacity ssd's for the operating system wanted to install all of their software applications, utilities, and games on a hard disk drive.

It can be done if the installation utility allows you to specify where to install the application. There are several different ways an installation utility could allow you to do this:

1. The installer may have a browse button you can click on that will pop open a window where you can select the location you want.

2. The installer may let you type in the location in the form field.

3. The installer may have several types of installations such as typical/recommended and custom. Selecting custom might allow a user to specify the location using method 1 or 2.

Although rare there are some installers that do not allow any alternate locations. The installer will only install to the boot drive. I don't know what the programmers who created the installers were thinking. There is a solution that involves what is commonly referred to as a "symbolic link". A user installs the application on the boot drive and then transfers the application to another drive. Then the user goes into Windows and creates a symbolic link. The symbolic link can be considered as a change of address message for Windows. When a user clicks to start the application Windows sees the symbolic link and goes to the new location of the program. Symbolic links work reasonably well but they are not 100% foolproof. Sometimes odd things happen.

You mentioned using an ssd as a boot drive and nothing else. That would suggest you are interested in a 32GB or 64 GB ssd. Currently those smaller capacity ssd's are not the best values. They tend to be expensive when compared to other capacities.

The current "sweet spot" is considered to be 128GB ssd's. They usually represent the best value for the money. There have been some excellent sale prices recently. Typically a user will install the operating system, software applications, utilities, and favorite games on the ssd. All other data is stored on a hard disk drive.