Newbie asking questions for Motherboards that use DDR2 PC 6400 RAM

dyland808

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
Hello all, I was recommended by my friend Tom's Hardware site in order to help determine what I should do. I have 6 Gbs of DDR2 6400 RAM from 2 systems that died recently. I have 4 X 1GB and 1 x 2GB Ram Sticks. The motherboards are dead and I am looking for a cheap remedy to purchase new intel motherboards that are compatible with the RAM that I already have. I would like it if the Motherboard could support i3 processors and understand that that might not be possible I have been looking at post on system builds and all I have seen suggest i3 processors work with DDR3 RAM. I have a 512 PCI express Video Card that I would still like to keep on using. I primarily will install Windows XP on it because I just mainly use it for office work. Well let me know if you have an answer for me and if possible direct me to the best build or at least cheapest build.

I want to head in the direction of i3 and some some MB with potential it just means a complete system overhaul or upgrade, they I have 6 GB of DDR 2 Ram and then what do I do? LoL well any help would be appreciated thanks for your time in advance.

Dreadfather

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
While I do not believe that there are any Intel I3 boards that support DDR2, there are many cheap options to either Upgrade your ram or buy an older Intel Dual core, such as a Celeron or Pentium. For example you can currently get:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116264
(Intel Celeron E3300 2.5 GHZ Dual Core, 50$, AND it overclocks like a champ)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157175
(AS Rock P43DE, 60$, 4 x DDR2 and 1 PCI x16 2.0)

For only about 110$ you can get a new CPU and MB that still supports your DDR2. Only 60$ if your CPU is still LGA775!

Sardason

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010

It's highly recommended that your RAM sticks be identical when installed. For example, if you have 1 x 2Gb DDR2 6400 memory module, then make sure all other RAM sticks installed are identical. If you have dual-channel memory support, then only fill two of the bays with identical sticks. This improves RAM performance by not filling all the memory bays.