Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Quick Question...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 29, 2010 11:57:20 PM

Greetings!

My computer failed to POST a couple of days ago and, after some trial and error (and some help from a forum), it was determined that my two year old graphics card was the cause. In other words, removing my graphics card from the PCI slot it was inserted into fixed the problem. So, I was wondering if there is any way to detect whether a graphics card failure was caused by the PCI-E slot it was plugged into or if the card just simply died.

Thanks.

More about : quick question

a c 189 U Graphics card
September 30, 2010 1:56:30 AM

You can try that card in different PC, if the same thing appears then you got a bad card there...
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2010 2:28:10 AM

The slot did not kill your graphics card, but heat can kill a graphics card. Check that you have good air flow into the case (normally under the bottom of the front panel).
Related resources
September 30, 2010 5:57:17 AM

Generally, what could be considered "good airflow"? I've got a 120mm fan both in the front and back of my case. There are also two openings on the side panel parallel to the PCI-E and PCI slots of my motherboard.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2010 8:00:53 AM

The front air intake vents can get clogged with dust after a couple of years as can other fans and heatsink. Is there air flow over the graphics card? Heat kills graphics cards.
Score
September 30, 2010 5:07:59 PM

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=thermaltake+shark&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=11237961091916857024&ei=A8CkTKfWI5KgsQPGw9T9Dg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBoQ8wIwAA#.

Have a look at that case. It's the same model as mine. You will be able to visualize the two openings on the left hand side of my side panel. I was somewhat mistaken when I said that they are parallel to the PCI-E/PCI slots because they actually are quite large. I can view the entire motherboard when I look into the openings.

I have read that, generally, it is best to have more air going OUT than IN because the air going out is heated air which is what you want to get rid of. If that's the case, then those honeycomb vents are doing me an injustice and assuming that heat did kill my graphics card then, as you implied, I have an airflow issue.

There should be software to detect the temp at which my GPU's are running, correct? Any recommendations?
Score
October 7, 2010 12:39:48 AM

Best answer selected by theArchitect.
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
October 7, 2010 8:50:42 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!