Closed Solved

CPU for DivX

Hello,
Why might your choice of CPU's change if you were building a computer system for encoding DivX home movies instead of for gaming?
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about divx
  1. Best answer
    I7 2600K would probably be the best bet for your money right now. Plus, its versatile as well.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandy-bridge-core-i7-2600k-core-i5-2500k,2833-15.html
  2. Welcome to Tom's!

For strictly video encoding and not gaming, probably a 6 core AMD. More cores are better for encoding than raw clockspeed. And the 6 core AMD will be about the same price as a 4 core Intel. For playing games the Intel is better... but since you want to do encoding, grab a 6 core.

The Intel I7 2600K is nice since it has Hyperthreading which can act like it has 4 cores plus 4 virtual cores... but 6 real cores will still be better. And if you wait a little bit for AMD's new chips to come out soon, the price will continue to drop on their current 6 core lineup and that would make them cheaper than the I7.

I usually do encoding using the Cuda cores on my graphics card, but the software I use doesn't do Divx that I am aware of. If you were to encode your videos as MP4 or MKV with the x264 codec, then your CPU doesn't matter if you have a good nVidia graphics card because it won't use your CPU for encoding at all.

But I don't know if ATI or nVidia have anything for Divx, haven't made AVIs or anything for ages now.
  3. Best answer selected by carolinagirl54.
  4. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs DivX