Sign in with
Your question

GPU for 1440x900 Gaming

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 30, 2010 2:58:29 AM

So I'm looking to upgrade out of my 9800GTX+. My resolution is 1400x900, and I don't really plan to upgrade to any bigger monitors/resolutions.

A friend suggested a 5770. Out of all the ones on newegg I settled upon this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Would this be my best bet for the long run? I don't like to upgrade but once every couple years.

How will this hold up? Are there better options on the Nvidia side? I was going to get a 460 but he said it would be better to get a 5770 at this resolution.

More about : gpu 1440x900 gaming

a c 376 U Graphics card
September 30, 2010 3:06:31 AM

Your current card should actually be holding up fairly well at that resolution. If I were you I would wait a month or two until the HD6000 series is released before considering an upgrade.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2010 3:12:33 AM

What are the rest of your system specs? If you're experiencing slow performance, it might be caused by a bottleneck elsewhere (i.e. possibly the cpu).

As jyjjy said, your current card should be handling that resolution just fine.
m
l
Related resources
September 30, 2010 3:21:21 AM

In benchmarks the 5770 runs between a gtx 260 and a gts 250, the gts 250 being basically the same as your 9800 gtx+ which means its only slightly better.

You might end up saving money on your power bill if you do this upgrade, also you would get DX11, thats about it.

That being said a 9800GTX+ should run Battlefield Bad company 2, one of the more demanding games out today at that resolution at 60 fps at max settings which should put you at ok.

If you want to upgrade your friend may be wrong, and you should look at the 460, but since you are sitting on the 9800GTX+ wait it out until the 67XX series comes out in 1-2 months. Nvidia said it is planning on dropping the price of the gtx 460 which means it should be cheaper and it would be a true upgrade.

Again, tell us your system specs as a cpu or ram upgrade may be a better option at this point.
m
l
a c 275 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
September 30, 2010 3:39:29 AM

The 5770 is just one tier higher than the 9800GTX+ on tom's heirarchy chart:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gts-450-rad...

That is too small a jump in capability, and you might be disappointed if you can't see much improvement.

At your resolution you should be doing very well. Perhaps there is something wrong, as others have suggested.

I also do not like the cooler on that particular model you linked to. It recirculates the gpu hot air, heating up both the gpu AND the cpu. I think a direct exhaust type cooler is more effective.
m
l
September 30, 2010 4:00:53 AM

All of my hardware:

Zotac 9800GTX+ 512MB
Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 2.53GHz (OCd to 3GHz)
4GB DDR2 Super Talent memory.
ASUS P5GC MX-1333 Motherboard

I'm on a pretty tight upgrade budget and won't be able to upgrade to anything else that might be coming out.

I was really just looking to grab some small upgrades that would hold me till I can go all out on a new system.

I can use a few references.

I recently played the Arcania Gothic IV Demo. I know its not final product, but its the most recent new game I've tried.

On Medium the game was running 2Xish in a small village with quite a bit going on, and 30ish in more open or uncluttered areas. It's different depending on the game though.

I also recently played through Resident Evil 5 and Metro 2033, and I maxed everything out on RE5. But some games just perform really bad for some reason. Perhaps it's just the game? I believe I had Metro 2033 on low.

And last Final Fantasy XIV. Let's just say that didn't work at all.

I'm also a big MMO player, and when there are a flood of character models on my screen I take a noticeable hit. (Warhammer Online)

30ish is highly acceptable for me, but the majority of the time I can notice FPS drops and lag.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2010 4:18:12 AM

Arcania seems to be a very demanding game, just from looking at the system requirements: http://www.arcania-game.com/?lang=en&ID=1840

Most MMOs are like that (noticable slowdown when there's lots of stuff on the screen) and the only thing you can do to compensate is to turn the quality down.

For most games, you should be able to play at 1440 x 900 with high detail, but for some of the new ones, you might want to turn down the detail or res.

As a complete system, though, your's is very well balanced in terms of cpu and gpu performance.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2010 4:21:58 AM

Your CPU is fine for gaming.

Unless you plan to do multi-threaded work or play a game like GTA4, you really don't need a quad.

If you wish to upgrade, a better option might be the GTX460 768mb, which some models costs around $160 and performs equal to a 5830.
m
l
September 30, 2010 4:24:03 AM

Thanks for the input, the other forum I tried said the complete opposite.

Also someone said that the 460 would be bottlenecked on my current set up and resolution.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2010 4:51:32 AM

^His board won't support a quad. If he wants to do any kind of system component upgrade, his only choice is a platform upgrade, but at that point he'd almost be better off just upgrading the entire system.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2010 4:56:23 AM

The only meaningful upgrade for the 9800GTX+ is a 460 GTX. You will get similar power draw, similar size, but a good improvement in performance and DX11.

Nothing against the 5770, wonderful little card, but your card is pretty much equivalent to a 5750, which is right next door to a 5770.
m
l
September 30, 2010 5:57:37 AM

Well, bummer there isn't any real good upgrade. Guess I'll make due till the new rig.

Thanks everyone.
m
l
!