Sign in with
Your question

Random system lock-ups--bad mobo?

Last response: in Systems
November 23, 2010 7:26:28 PM

Hello,

What else besides a bad mobo causes system freeze? Mine freezes randomly just surfing and IM'ing--I've just been reseting and continuing on, but it's fairly annoying. It hasn't frozen yet when I tried to watch a video or play a game, so I doubt it's the vid card. I'm familiar with other things lead to blue screens and app crashes or shut downs, but I'm not so sure what things cause freeze-ups that don't happen within a game or have any particular pattern.

Long story: I recently moved and my PC tower rode in the back of the car, standing up, for a relatively long trip. When I set it up, it would not boot. I reset the BIOS, made sure everything was seated, tried again to no avail. Took out a RAM stick out of the 2nd slot DIMM1, and it booted up. I put it back in the 3rd slot, DIMM2, and it booted fine.

2 days later I noticed frequent freeze ups, oddly. Did windows7's standard 2 rep memtest--no errors. ChkDisk--no errors. Defragged, disconnected DVD writer, uninstalled many programs, and it still happens. BIOS is set to default settings with boot splash off (no OC'ing). Installed speedfan and temps are oddly low (http://i52.tinypic.com/2s0jyc7.jpg). I reinstalled/updated a number of drivers. Device manager looks clear.

I'm highly suspect of my mobo, since it probably suffered the most from shaking on the road. Not dismissing the possibility of a bad vid card, drivers, f'd up Windows.

Anyone able to get any leads from this? If you suspect mobo, I'd be replacing a MSI 770-C45 AM2/3 mobo and would like to be recommended a good value mainstream one to support DDR3 1600 RAM and a AMD Phenom 2 X3 720 BE (no need for dual LAN, Gigabit LAN, SATA3, USB3, or a lot of PCI-E or many HDs--just bare minimum).

Update: it seemed to have started happening after I absent mindedly allowed Windows to do a system repair (damn that thing takes a long time) after the boot up glitched after restarting from a Windows update.

Update2: for some reason, a lot of the freezes happen in Google maps. A few happened in chrome just mousing over stuff.

Update3: it consistently freezes up in Google maps. I use it frequently since I just moved, so this pattern can't be ignored. Vid card maybe?
a b B Homebuilt system
November 23, 2010 11:27:17 PM

It might be a bummer, but have you considered a reformat? My first inclination was either a loose/bad stick of RAM, but it looks like you've checked into that. Tried safe mode?
m
l
November 23, 2010 11:33:55 PM

jack_attack said:
It might be a bummer, but have you considered a reformat? My first inclination was either a loose/bad stick of RAM, but it looks like you've checked into that. Tried safe mode?

Yes. It was fairly stable, but I couldn't really do much to troubleshoot.

I suspected the video card more and on a hunch finding a connection to Google maps, I disabled hardware acceleration on flash player (through a youtube video--right click on it and go through settings). I haven't had a freeze-up since.

The parts I took out of this PC and donated to another PC has Google chrome tabs that crash very often (I can't help not laugh at the jigsaw sad face and the "Oops!" error message. I think that's more like a RAM error.

I'm holding off on the reformat. I checked windows update and it seems all the updates were installed successfully.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
November 24, 2010 3:14:55 AM

+1 for laughing at the jigsaw. I had a like issue with a bad stick of RAM as well, crashing Mozilla, BSOD's, all the fun stuff. I'd try and let Memtest86+ run overnight and see what that finds you, I once had memtest find an error the built in Windows test didn't find. Could have been a fluke though. Oh, and for video, try OCCT's GPU sections. It has a neat test where it beats your vRAM to hell, might find something that way.
m
l
November 24, 2010 8:13:43 AM

Hate to state the obvious, but have you checked every connection and ensured that every card and RAM stick is securely seated? Computers don't like vibration, that's for sure.
m
l
November 24, 2010 8:20:08 AM

Sardason said:
Hate to state the obvious, but have you checked every connection and ensured that every card and RAM stick is securely seated? Computers don't like vibration, that's for sure.

Yes, everything's seated. That was the first thing I did. I noted so in the "long story" paragraph, "Reset BIOS, made sure everything was seated..."

I'm back to suspecting the mobo. Freezing happening again without a pattern. Just web surfing.
m
l
November 24, 2010 8:23:18 AM

Vashar said:
Hello,

Update: it seemed to have started happening after I absent mindedly allowed Windows to do a system repair (damn that thing takes a long time) after the boot up glitched after restarting from a Windows update.

Update2: for some reason, a lot of the freezes happen in Google maps. A few happened in chrome just mousing over stuff.

Update3: it consistently freezes up in Google maps. I use it frequently since I just moved, so this pattern can't be ignored. Vid card maybe?

Are you saying after repairing your current windows 7 installation you experienced a glitch during a windows update during boot? Were you able to reboot successfully? Does the glitch re-occur?

If you're experiencing a lot of freezes with Google Maps, it sounds graphics-related, or some processor-intensive process is creating a bottle-neck. Have you updated your graphics card's drivers?

You very well may have a bad VGA card. I just did a new build and got a bad card straight out of the box (ATI Radeon HD 5830 1GB). Replaced it with an EVGA ... Works great!

The error on the update is not good. Have you looked at the Event Viewer?
m
l
November 24, 2010 8:30:22 AM

Sardason said:
Are you saying after repairing your current windows 7 installation you experienced a glitch during a windows update during boot? Were you able to reboot successfully? Does the glitch re-occur?

If you're experiencing a lot of freezes with Google Maps, it sounds graphics-related, or some processor-intensive process is creating a bottle-neck. Have you updated your graphics card's drivers?

You very well may have a bad VGA card. I just did a new build and got a bad card straight out of the box (ATI Radeon HD 5830 1GB). Replaced it with an EVGA ... Works great!

The error on the update is not good. Have you looked at the Event Viewer?

I DL'd the driver straight from the XFX support site, it failed after my screen blinked. View log doesn't work. I used the installer to uninstall and tried to install, no success. Reboot and no luck. Ended up installing from device manager.

I suspected vid card, so I disabled Flash Player hardware acceleration and that made G-Maps much much more stable, but had a couple freezes after. Probably from too many tabs.

So since it could be a number of things and my DIMM1 slot if FUBAR, I think I'm going to try and find a good deal on an AM3 mobo.
m
l
November 24, 2010 8:39:39 AM

If you can't install the appropriate driver for the device, there's definitely a problem related to the device. Did you uninstall the previous driver before installing the new one? And, did you mean that DIMM1 slot is FUBAR'd? That's not good.
m
l
!