Sign in with
Your question

Deciated graphics RAM

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 30, 2010 6:14:40 AM

What would the differnece be if i have more graphics RAM on a program where as i am making a game?
for example i ussualy use blender to make my character models and simple animations would there be a difference if i went with the NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800 1GB card or the NVIDIA Quadro FX 5800 4GB card? i render with a 8 thread process so i am wondering if the more CUDA cores will means anything? would a ATI card be better? i am looking at the FirePro V8800 2GB card or the FirePro V7500 1GB? how much does the GPU matter when i am creating a animation for a game? how much does that RAM matter? the RAM bandwidth? the number of GPUs? the number of cards used? the amount of RAM? and anything else which i did not think of?
also would these cards be over kill for creating a modern game with modern uses of Direct3D and OpenGL? mainly Direct3D though both will be used

More about : deciated graphics ram

a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2010 9:19:15 AM

What you asked is not expected from a game developer.You should be knowing most of this already.
m
l
September 30, 2010 3:22:59 PM

i am a application developer who is trained in software side not the hardware but i want to make a game so i want to learn about such things.
if i am suppose to already know this stuff before making a game then tell me what book or stack of books will explain this all to me because i am running into the problem of my graphics engines crashing my computer. also developers really do not thing much of what is in our own computer only what is in the end-users computer thus i do not know what i will need to make a game but i do know what is needed to play them which they do play just the software for making them crashes after about the 15th or 16th time i push render on my field. thus i want to know what in a graphics card i should be looking at for making them.
m
l
Related resources
a c 173 U Graphics card
September 30, 2010 3:37:47 PM

This is fairly common for most to be only trained in software these days which reflects poorly on the quality of education that is available.
m
l
September 30, 2010 4:23:12 PM

Anyway. A good workstation graphics card is a must for 3d rendering. Or at least a decent gaming.

For rendering you basically need a good overall system, good ram, good cpu and good graphics card.

Amount of RAM on a workstation graphics card is important for large-scale rendering. I would get a Fermi workstation card tbh. Like the Quadro 6000. The number of CUDA cores are very important, amount of memory is important CPU is important since you don't want the CPU bottlenecking the GPU. System memory is important... bandwidth and amount.
m
l
!