Looking to build a gaming machine - $1300

I am currently looking at building a new gaming machine. I was going to just purchase a pc from cyberpower, I purchased my last machine from there. I was wondering if I should just continue purchasing from them or should I build my own. The local pc repair shop said they would let me come in and they would help me build it free of charge.

I have a spending limit of $1300 - (Doesn't need to include Operating system or Monitor.)

I am not so computer savvy to know all that I need to be looking for. I wanted to go with Intel this time as I have usually gone with AMD. I was looking at doing the i7-950 if possible in that price range.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated as to which direction I should go. I would like to build one if it will make a better machine but if cyberpower if right on par with pricing and quality I guess I can just purchase another from them.
20 answers Last reply
More about looking build gaming machine 1300
  1. Personally I would go a cheaper case and invest that money in a better GPU ((More bang for bucks)

For roughly the same $ from newegg

Antec 300 Illusion http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066

gtx 470 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130550&cm_re=gtx_470-_-14-130-550-_-Product
  2. That helps a great deal, I was looking at this computer at cyberpower:

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Holiday_Special_IV/

Which is a bit cheaper for about the same components. If building it is going to be better I will go ahead and go that route but if this computer from cyberpower is a good buy, not sure which way to go?
  3. That does seem like a pretty good deal. Before ordering I would get them to confirm the brand of:

Memory: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 465 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
    Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)

And then check against Newegg

Also I don't know anything about that PSU:

800 Watts - XtremeGear Gaming Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready

I couldn't see it anywhere on nvidia's website under their certified PSU brands/models list. At least might be worth asking around here if anyones had any experience with it.

Uprgrading to:

850 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-850TX 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready [+85]

Might be worth the extra $85 in the long run

And hey since your still within budget why not:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 1.2GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA) [+91]

And since they're not into specifying brands I would pay the extra $4 for EVGA

Good luck!
  4. Take a look at this build instead:) :
    Case:Haf 932
    Cpu:i7 950
    Cooler:Corsair A70
    Motherboard:Asus Sabertooth X58

ram:G.Skill Ripjaws 6gb
    GPUS:2xGtx 460 sli 768mb
    HD:Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
    PSU:Antec Truepower 750w
    Optical:Any at 20$
    All in all 1312$ and the 2 gtx 460s perform near a gtx 580.:)
  5. BeCoolBro said:
    Take a look at this build instead:) :
    Case:Haf 932
    Cpu:i7 950
    Cooler:Corsair A70
    Motherboard:Asus Sabertooth X58

ram:G.Skill Ripjaws 6gb
    GPUS:2xGtx 460 sli 768mb
    HD:Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
    PSU:Antec Truepower 750w
    Optical:Any at 20$
    All in all 1312$ and the 2 gtx 460s perform near a gtx 580.:)

I don't know.. those guys in the prebuilt site offered a free SSD among other free stuff for black friday.
    2xGTX 460's are good but make sure they are 768MB cause that'll save you $120 in total (You can buy 3x 768MB ones for price of 2x 1GB ones, so just buy 2 x 768mb ones as they perform almost identically as the 1GB version).

Hmmm Spinpoint F4 is cheaper on Newegg too =0 ($44)
  6. One last question, a friend told me I should wait till after Christmas to buy to get it a lot cheaper. I didn't really think that things got cheaper after x-mas but I am not really sure. Is it worth waiting or should I just go ahead and get in on some of these black friday deals.
  7. oneeyd said:
    One last question, a friend told me I should wait till after Christmas to buy to get it a lot cheaper. I didn't really think that things got cheaper after x-mas but I am not really sure. Is it worth waiting or should I just go ahead and get in on some of these black friday deals.

I suggest you buy just before the new stuff is released or instantly when they are.Last christmas I purchased my first system too and looking at the prices now makes me realize how cheap stuff were.As an example I could get the 5870 at 335$ and it had been released really recently.Then it jumped up to 500$ in my country.
  8. I am building another computer so my wife can game with me, waiting wasn't really an option.

Here's what I ended up ordering:

I7-950 Bloomfield
    Coolermaster HAF 912
    Spinpoint f3
    Corsair CMPSU-850TX 80 Plus Power Supply
    6gb Kingston Hyper-x (Came with a free 30gb SSD)
    GigaByte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58

Then all the little things like fans, keyboard, mouse, ethernet card, etc....

Came out to be a little over $1300 for everything. I used Newegg, Tiger Direct, and I got the mobo off ebay.
  9. The best gpus would be the gtx 460,6850 and 6870.Your choice but I'd prefer the 6850.
  10. The above are better for the op in my opinion and below is why.

6850 Toxic 209$
    6870 Twin Frozr 269$
    Gtx 470 259.99$
    The gtx 470 isn't worth the extra heat over the 6870 even if it gives more performance.Also gtx 470 tri sli is crazy without extreme cooling and a very beefy psu and the 6870 twin frozr has custom cooling and scales very well in cf.How is the gtx 470 a better deal?
  11. You've done well. Those are all quality parts. Did you order a GPU? Let us know how it goes... I'm looking at a putting together a very similar build with a gtx580... whenever they finally come in stock!
  12. oh forgot the gpu. I went with a single Evga 480 GTX, I couldnt resist. The wife gave me the big stink eye after I showed her the total lol.
  13. Thanks for the advice on the SSD. I would have went ahead and installed the OS on it.
  14. Wow. Hopefully your wife's stink eye turns into dazzled eyes when she sees games running on her new awesome beast of a system.
  15. I'm currently running with:

x2 955 Black Edition
    1tb Western Digital
    Gigabyte AM3 Mobo - Forgot the exact model number
    MSI HD 4870 1gb

I'll probably upgrade the video card in this one soon. It runs everything great atm.
  16. I got the spinpoint f3 for the new machine, those are the specs to the old one.
  17. I don't have all the parts yet. Back-ordered. I'll post up whenever I get everything situated and let you know how it is. I am so anxious. I was like WHAT, won't be shipped I think till Dec 10.
  18. So I finally got everything in and the time to put it all together. So far so good on everything. I installed win7 Pro and did some tweaks and have about 12 gigs left on the SSD. I ran into one problem where the screen size of windows is larger than the screen. I am using a 42" Plasma as a monitor and I tried messing with the aspect on the TV as well as screen resolutions and refresh rates but cant seem to get it to fit.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Gaming Cyberpower Build Systems Product