Q.

Hi all,
was there finally something found to fix GPF's in the demo?

Me
12 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 23:01:24 +0100, Profil1 wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > was there finally something found to fix GPF's in the demo?

    Yeah, Linux.

    --
    {AGUT}DeadMan
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 23:01:24 +0100, Profil1 wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > was there finally something found to fix GPF's in the demo?

    Linux doesn't get GPF's...

    Maybe you should try the real game and forget the demo?

    Linux Registered User #327951
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 23:01:24 +0100, "Profil1" <jay@neostrada.pl>
    wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >was there finally something found to fix GPF's in the demo?
    >
    >Me

    The Unreal engine is famous for exposing memory problems. GPF's in
    the demo are *not* common. Use Memtest or some other memory
    diagnostic program to test your memory, because 7 times out of 10
    GPF's in Unreal = memory problems.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    > Linux doesn't get GPF's...
    >
    > Maybe you should try the real game and forget the demo?

    So Linux is the only solution:/? And what causes it? Any piece of hardware?

    And i have the full version, but i prefer the demo cause it doesn't change
    ONS maps(Torlan is the best ever) to some other shitty stuff. Plus it works
    faster :)

    Me
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 02:50:06 +0100, "Profil1" <jay@neostrada.pl>
    wrote:

    >And i have the full version, but i prefer the demo cause it doesn't change
    >ONS maps(Torlan is the best ever) to some other shitty stuff. Plus it works
    >faster :)

    Assuming you are playing it solo, then create a server and just have
    Torlan in the map rotation. Bingo, no need for the demo.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    > Assuming you are playing it solo, then create a server and just have
    > Torlan in the map rotation. Bingo, no need for the demo.

    Solo? You mean single player?
    If yes, no, i haven't been playing singleplayer single since summer maybe:)

    + if i'd make a server i could hadle 4-5 people without big lag so that is
    not an option.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    > The Unreal engine is famous for exposing memory problems. GPF's in
    > the demo are *not* common. Use Memtest or some other memory
    > diagnostic program to test your memory, because 7 times out of 10
    > GPF's in Unreal = memory problems.

    So i used it first for 20 minutes cause i did nothave much time and it
    showed two errors - some numebr didn't match some other numbers...But when i
    let it go for few hours now it did not show anything:).
    Is that good or bad?
    And what about those 3 times out of 10?
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 17:43:04 +0100, "Profil1" <jay@neostrada.pl>
    wrote:

    >> The Unreal engine is famous for exposing memory problems. GPF's in
    >> the demo are *not* common. Use Memtest or some other memory
    >> diagnostic program to test your memory, because 7 times out of 10
    >> GPF's in Unreal = memory problems.
    >
    >So i used it first for 20 minutes cause i did nothave much time and it
    >showed two errors - some numebr didn't match some other numbers...But when i
    >let it go for few hours now it did not show anything:).
    >Is that good or bad?
    >And what about those 3 times out of 10?

    It means you have a memory problem. ;-)

    Tell us about your memory configuration. How many sticks? What
    capacity/brand is each stick? Are you overclocking? Does your bios
    give you any control over memory timings?
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    > Tell us about your memory configuration. How many sticks? What
    > capacity/brand is each stick? Are you overclocking? Does your bios
    > give you any control over memory timings?

    1 stick.
    1x 512 MB.
    DDR 512 PC 333
    Not overclocked.
    And i think it does give me any control over memory timings.

    Anything else:)?
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 20:34:35 +0100, "Profil1" <jay@neostrada.pl> wrote:

    >> Tell us about your memory configuration. How many sticks? What
    >> capacity/brand is each stick? Are you overclocking? Does your bios
    >> give you any control over memory timings?
    >
    >1 stick.
    >1x 512 MB.
    >DDR 512 PC 333
    >Not overclocked.
    >And i think it does give me any control over memory timings.
    >
    >Anything else:)?

    Since you have only one stick, the only way to truly troubleshoot is
    to find another stick of memory and swap it in.

    "And i think it does give me any control over memory timings."

    From the wording, it looks like you might have meant to say "doesn't"
    instead of "does".

    If you *do* have control over your memory timings, try to relax them a
    bit to see if that helps. If you don't know what I'm talking about,
    then it's probably not an issue anyway.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    > Since you have only one stick, the only way to truly troubleshoot is
    > to find another stick of memory and swap it in.
    >
    > "And i think it does give me any control over memory timings."
    >
    > From the wording, it looks like you might have meant to say "doesn't"
    > instead of "does".
    >
    > If you *do* have control over your memory timings, try to relax them a
    > bit to see if that helps. If you don't know what I'm talking about,
    > then it's probably not an issue anyway.

    I asked my friend which has almost the same pc because i had no idea what
    that timing was:)
    And i don't know what that relaxing is??

    Btw i found and wrote down the error i have:

    "Error found with word pair# 15617834, values 2723244620, 206662220 do not
    match" whatever that means.

    So You think the only way ti know for sure is to check with another RAM
    stick?
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 20:30:55 +0100, "Profil1" <jay@neostrada.pl> wrote:

    >> Since you have only one stick, the only way to truly troubleshoot is
    >> to find another stick of memory and swap it in.
    >>
    >> "And i think it does give me any control over memory timings."
    >>
    >> From the wording, it looks like you might have meant to say "doesn't"
    >> instead of "does".
    >>
    >> If you *do* have control over your memory timings, try to relax them a
    >> bit to see if that helps. If you don't know what I'm talking about,
    >> then it's probably not an issue anyway.
    >
    >I asked my friend which has almost the same pc because i had no idea what
    >that timing was:)
    >And i don't know what that relaxing is??
    >
    >Btw i found and wrote down the error i have:
    >
    >"Error found with word pair# 15617834, values 2723244620, 206662220 do not
    >match" whatever that means.
    >

    >So You think the only way ti know for sure is to check with another RAM
    >stick?

    The fact that Memtest is giving you errors tells you that there is a
    problem with your memory subsystem. The only way to find out if it's
    the memory stick itself, or some other problem with your system, is to
    use another known good stick to see if the problem goes away. If it
    does, problem solved. If it doesn't, then you will have to do some
    more digging.

Games Video Games