Sign in with
Your question

External Hard drive does not show up in windows 7

Last response: in Storage
March 7, 2013 8:53:09 PM

I have two similar Dell Inspiron N7110 running on Windows 7. One of the laptops stopped working. So I took out the hard drive out of it and put it into a External 2.5" SATA enclosure. Now when I plug the enclosue using USB into to working laptop it does not show up under My Computer. I looked it under Device Manager -> Usb controllers: Here it shows up a mass storage device for few seconds and then disappears. Even under disk management it shows up and disappears.

The drive in ecnlosure boots up properly when plugged in, it keeps spinning and seems active.

Please help me!! I spent lot of time troubleshooting and searching the web with no help!!

This is the enclosure I bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AAVA08/ref=oh_deta...

It comes with usb cable with multiple connectors on one side. I tried plugging in one and all and nothing worked.
March 7, 2013 9:31:48 PM

Anyone? Please?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 88 G Storage
March 7, 2013 9:34:14 PM

So what happened to the laptop that stopped working?bad hard disk?
m
l
Related resources
March 7, 2013 9:49:27 PM

well, it will not power up. One fine day it just decided that it will not start, no beep. So I tried all the possible options to bring it up and apparently according t0 experts power jack/mother board might have gone down. Since I need to quickly copy few files from the not working laptop I bought the enclosure.
m
l
March 7, 2013 10:26:36 PM

anyone please
m
l
May 3, 2013 1:34:37 PM

hopefull12 said:
I have two similar Dell Inspiron N7110 running on Windows 7. One of the laptops stopped working. So I took out the hard drive out of it and put it into a External 2.5" SATA enclosure. Now when I plug the enclosue using USB into to working laptop it does not show up under My Computer. I looked it under Device Manager -> Usb controllers: Here it shows up a mass storage device for few seconds and then disappears. Even under disk management it shows up and disappears.

The drive in ecnlosure boots up properly when plugged in, it keeps spinning and seems active.

Please help me!! I spent lot of time troubleshooting and searching the web with no help!!

This is the enclosure I bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AAVA08/ref=oh_deta...

It comes with usb cable with multiple connectors on one side. I tried plugging in one and all and nothing worked.

Go to Control Panel / Admin. Tools / Computer Management. On the computer management window under Storage click disk management. You will see two lists of your hard drives, and upper list and a lower list. If the drive in question is in the upper list then right click it and click assign a drive letter. Go through the wizard and your problems should be solved. If your drive is not in the upper list then select and right click your drive in the lower list and select create simple volume and run through this wizard. If your problems are still not solved then I don't know what to tell you other than good luck.

Regards

m
l
January 25, 2014 7:39:33 AM

I was having the exact same problem and the drive wasn't showing up anywhere except under disk manager for a split second then it would disappear. I found out that my USB hard disk enclosure didn't like being plugged into my USB 3.0 ports on my computer tower. So I plugged it into a standard USB 2.0 port on my mother board and it picked up and installed the mass usb driver immediately.
m
l
!