Asrock RAID 0 Help

Foxster2212

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
Hello, I am attempting to set up a striped array in my computer. I am running windows 7 64 bit

Specs:
Core i5 3570k
8GB =2X4Gb Gskill ripjaw series 1600
Samsung 830 120gb (OS Drive)
Samsung 840 pro (steam)
WD 3tb 7200rpm (media)
Asrock extreme 3

From what i have read i should go into the bios and into advance storage controller and change to AHCI or RAID mode. I believe after backing out or applying there should be another option where i select which drives to add to the RAID setup and then chose the type of RAID. I can not find this second menu. I also tried this while having the mobo cd installed to see if it brought something up but it did not.
Any advice on how to go about setting this up?

Also, i backed up all my data to the 3TB beforehand. I made a system image of just my OS drive. After setting up the RAID i believe i have to reinstall windows. Can i restore the system image of my OS drive onto the RAID 0 array? Should i wipe the ssd's before setting up the RAID? If so can you reccomend a program to do so?

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

llongo0823

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
first go to the bios then select boot tab,go down to add on rom display click enabled after set the advanced storage config from ahci to raid and reboot, boot the computer and press control-i over and over until you see a screen with options, select the first option that says create raid volume first option should be raid 0,and if its the two ssd's, the next option will be 64 k stripe size, then select the two drives in next option, then the size just push enter on that one. you must do a fresh install and windows 7 x64 has the drivers built in unlike vista or xp. i have an extreme 6 which is the same but added goodies

just follow the guide here http://download.asrock.com/manual/raid/Z77%20Extreme3/English.pdf

or go here for intel description http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-022648.htm#2

i repeat windows 7 has its own drivers for intel raid just update after install of windows

Foxster2212

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
Thanks for the reply and info. I was able to get into the intel RAID setup window and set up my options. I chose the 2 120gb ssd to combine with the default strip size in RAID 0 configuration. At the last prompt when it goes to create the RAID volume i get an error. It says "only recovery volumes can span internal and external ports." I cant find anything online on how to fix this. Both my ssd are attached via sata wires directly to the mobo in the only 2 6/gbs ports i have. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Foxster2212

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
I have never updated my bios or firmaware. They are what the products were shipped with. Would updating the ssd's firmwares delete the data currently on them? From what ive heard your not supposed to update bios/firmware until you run into a problem. What makes you think that is the problem? How do i go about doing it.

llongo0823

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
your ok on data just flash the mobo with this
ftp://download.asrock.com/bios/1155/Z77%20Extreme3(1.40)WIN.zip

and the samsung 830 probably needs to be updated
get that here
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/
if those are 120 gig versions and not 128's then they need updates, after your done, try what I said earlierif that does'nt work ive got one more method and i think that you should be able to update the ssd's in windows

Foxster2212

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
Both the SSD's are 128GB sorry about the misinformation. Does that actually make a difference? I couldnt remember which it was before and guessed. I am currently at work and will try your advice when i get home tonight. I will post another reply tomorrow after attempting it. Thanks again for your ongoing support.