Black Friday Deals now and later Sandy Bridge?

helpme3948

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010
I'm thinking I should wait for Sandy Bridge before building my ~$700-800 budget PC. Are there any parts I should/could get on Black Friday or Cyber Monday and hold until Sandy Bridge comes out? I already ordered a Samsung Spinpoint F3 on sale on Newegg since that won't be affected by anything else in the build. I just don't want to order something that I'm not sure can be used with SB.

Solution
Considering how fast SB is supposed to be, I'm not sure you'll be able to squeeze one into an $800 build.

To answer your question you can also buy a case, PSU, GPU, and Ram as well. A triple channel Intel kit should be fine. Even if SB supports quad channel as some suggest triple channel will still work fine.

4745454b

Titan
Considering how fast SB is supposed to be, I'm not sure you'll be able to squeeze one into an $800 build.

To answer your question you can also buy a case, PSU, GPU, and Ram as well. A triple channel Intel kit should be fine. Even if SB supports quad channel as some suggest triple channel will still work fine.

Solution

helpme3948

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010

Thanks for the response. $800 doesn't include OS, btw. Also, all the "rumor" prices are still within the low $200s for the lower SB CPU and they wouldn't be mainstream if they were all really expensive. In any case, I'll up the budget a bit if I need to (within reason). I won't know until the prices are revealed.

I heard SB uses dual channel RAM? Maybe I should just wait and see about the RAM. I'll be on the look out for deals on those other parts though.

Edit: (Was writing the above when vindictive posted.)

I didn't count on the motherboard being that expensive. If it turns out being too much, I'll probably go with an i5-760 from Microcenter, not AMD. That reminds me, I wonder if MC will have SB chips cheaper...

4745454b

Titan
Whenever people mention SB I always think of the i7 type chips first. The server ones are rumored to use a Quad channel setup, while the desktop parts will use either that or a tri memory setup like the current i7s. Sorry for forgetting about the i5s.

helpme3948

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010
I just did some estimating of other parts and if its ~$200 for a 2500 SB (though if 2400 is a lot lower, that's great) and then ~$200 for a motherboard, that is definitely an expensive build. :??: Here's hoping a mobo can be found nearer to $100 and SB isn't too expensive. :p

vindictive

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
I highly doubt microcenter will have them for cheaper. I think its going to be hard to get ahold of one period as soon as they are released.. I was supposed to do a X-mas build but now I have to wait, pissed me off xD.

And about the mobo price, wait and see, thats the most unclear part of anything right now is the mobo pricing.

These are def worth waiting for, the i5 2400 (under $200) was doing better in some games (Wow and 1 other ones name i cant ever remember) than the i7 980x extreme ($1000)