E8400 & GTX 470?

Matttyb

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
Hi everyone,

Great forum you guys have here. This will be my first post so here goes:

I currently have an e8400 cpu with 4 gigs of ram and an ATI 4870 video card. My rig still runs most games fine, however it won't run everything super smooth at 1920x1080. I've just upgraded my monitor from a 22" to a 27" so I feel that an upgrade would be warranted to help push the native resolution of this monitor. That being said though, this 4870 card has been nothing short of amazing and I could easily still use this for many more months to come if I wanted to. ATI ftw.

Do you think I should just get a 470 and throw it in this rig or should I save up and buy an i7 rig? I can't seem to make my mind up right now, but honestly I think the video card alone will do the trick. I could wait for the 6000 series but I must admit, the 470 looks like a nice card indeed, and if I decided to buy an i7 down the track, I could easily get another one of those cards for that totally awesome SLI scaling performance. What say you all?

On a further note, I've done a bit of research into the different 470 gtx models as well, and I believe the Zotac GTX 470 AMP model is the go, as it comes with a kick ass heatsink and dual fans. Apparently the temps on this card are very, very good, because I've read that the 470 gets pretty hot, and I already live in a tropical climate (air-con ftw though).

Ps, I have a decent 600 watt power supply, so power isn't an issue for this card. I can't remember what brand it is, but It's one of the good known brands which cost me around $150 at the time I bought it. I think it's an antec, coolermaster or ocz.. something like that.

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Matty.

Your plan is good.
Yes, you can buy GTX470 now and move it to your next gaming rig (i7) also adding another GTX470 will make your system "FLY"... :)

We need more info about your PSU, it depend on PSU specs whether you can go with dual GTX470 or not...

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
FLY is definitely the right verb here :)

Yeah, your PSU is great for one 470 but I'd be nervous with two of them, mostly because if you do any overclocking or if you are close to the edge on amperage, you can definitely start underpowering your equipment. For two 470's, I'd recommend a 750+ watt PSU with plenty of amperage just to be safe.

Matttyb

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
Thanks guys. Don't worry I wasn't planning on running 2x470 with that power supply haha. Tell you what though, I am kicking myself over not getting a motherboard with crossfire/SLI support when I got this rig 2 years ago.

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
Check my sig for an i7 and GTX470 Sli setup - Awesome mate.

Have a Coolermaster 750w PSU which runs everything fine with no issues, has been booted now for 14days straight with not 1 judder or bump.

Even the reference GTX470 cards are pretty decent compared to the standrard factory overclocked ones. Not a huge amount of difference apart from the looks/temps.

My first GTX470 runs near 90oC when playing games, the other is around 75-80oC