GTX 465 in SLI = NO VIDEO! Help...

dannyjerome0

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
Hello,
I built a computer yesterday. It ran perfectly fine with one MSI GTX 465 in an MSI nf750-55 mobo. When I install the second GPU (SAME BRAND AND MODEL) I get no video at all. The BIOS won't even show up, but the system does POST. One of the cards IS a couple months older than the other, but each card works perfectly fine individually. What is going on??? I've tried the DVI output at every connection, made sure both cards were properly powered, SLI bridge put on and everything. I've tried for hours with every possible combination before giving up and going to bed. Any ideas?

dannyjerome0

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010

Nope I've made sure repeatedly that hybrid SLI was disabled in my BIOS setup. It's very strange. Each card runs fine individually, but when I put that second card in, I get absolutely nothing. I won't even have the second card powered (I tried everything) and I still get no video, which is why I'm thinking it may be a faulty mobo?

dannyjerome0

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010

I'm almost positive. Like I said the GTX 465 was up and running with the latest drivers installed. No problems whatsoever. Second card... nothing.. no video not even the BIOS

dannyjerome0

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010

Corsair 850TX PSU. I ASSUMED that the PSU would be powerful enough, based on power consumption calculator results and forum postings. Also, when I have the second card in the mobo, and NOT powered, I still get no video at all.

dannyjerome0

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
Here is the info for my build:

AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE (Deneb) @ 3.2Ghz
MSI nf750-55 SLI Ready Motherboard
8gb G.SKill Ripjaws RAM @ 1333
MSI N465GTX-M2D1G GeForce GTX 465 (currently, trying to add a second)
Corsair TX850 PSU
Rosewill Challenger Mid-tower Case
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
WD Caviar Black 1Tb HDD @ 7200 RPM

deweycd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
The Corsair TX850 PSU will definitly run two GTX 465 without a problem.

Your motherboard seems compatible, no reason it shouldn't work.

So, after reading the manual this is what I got:

First try the video out on the motherboard to see if your signal is comming out here.

If no signal there try this (elimination)
- Install GPU board one in PCIE2 and GPU board two in PCIE4
- Install SLI bridge between board one and board two
- Plug monitor into GPU board one that was installed in PCIE2. No signal will ever be put out on GPU board two in PCIE4 when the SLI bridge is installed.
- Turn on the computer and monitor. If no signal try the second port on the same card.
- If you do not get a signal from either port either you have a bad motherboard or bad GPU. I would suggest that the problem is the motherboard PCIE4 as you said both GPUs work in PCIE2.

All other components in your system seem reasonable and I can't think of anything use to suggest besided above.

dannyjerome0

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010

Yeah I think it must be a bad motherboard. I did exactly what you just described. The only other explanation I can think of is that the firmware versions are not matching between the two GPUs. I will try to rule that one out tonight. Thanks for all your help!

dannyjerome0

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
This is strange. I checked up on the specs of my mainboard using CPU-Z... It says "740a SLI" under chipset.
This makes no sense because I bought an MSI "NF750-G55" board. The chipset should be 750a SLI. Anyway, I am sending it back and getting a newer board.