Sign in with
Your question

Advice on upgrading from 2 9800gtx

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 30, 2010 5:01:30 PM

Well right now i have 2 9800gtx's in sli, so i wanna know what you guys think about whether or not i should go ahead and buy 2 new cards and sli them OR buy one powerful card and then pick another up down the road later and sli then.

My budget is around 500 ish.
If i choose the route to sli now i was thinking of getting 2 gtx 460s
I was think about these because these are the external exhaust cards i believe, so that should help with the heat from having 2 of them
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

as for choosing one uber card and waiting till later i havent really looked at those so im kinda clueless, so feel free to throw some ideas my way. I dont really have a favorite brand, but id rather use Nvidia instead of ATI.

heres my system specs:
AMD 1055T processor
corsair 850w psu
4 GB of ddr3 1600
Asrock extreme4 mobo
Antec 900
a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2010 5:25:15 PM

Two 460's in SLi will definitely give you some power under the hood. It's a good combination that scales excellently, and I think it's THE best SLi, dollar to performance offerings Nvidia has right now.

Your PSU is more than enough for it too, so you're all set!

Edit: I'm retarded, nm my crossfire/sli comment you might have seen.
a c 169 U Graphics card
September 30, 2010 5:26:05 PM

2 GTX 460s will give you a good performance boost from your current setup but are you having problems with your current cards? Because 2 9800GTX can handle every game fine currently.
Related resources
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 30, 2010 5:32:09 PM

Does that motherboard support SLi?
a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2010 5:43:22 PM

He currently has two 9800 GTX's in SLi, I thought the EXACT same thing, but if he has SLi working in it now, then it has to right?

Normally I'd immediately say "no" because it's an AMD chipset mobo, but I guess he has it working?

It totally caught me off guard.
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 30, 2010 5:53:15 PM

borisof007 said:
He currently has two 9800 GTX's in SLi, I thought the EXACT same thing, but if he has SLi working in it now, then it has to right?

Normally I'd immediately say "no" because it's an AMD chipset mobo, but I guess he has it working?

It totally caught me off guard.

Either that or it's part of a complete upgrade, which is why I had to ask.
October 1, 2010 1:43:35 PM

Yea i have it working fine (at least i think so lol)
see i had to buy a new motherboard because when i got the new amd cpu the one i currently had they were like no sorry no bios update for you so i got this one because it was am3 ready
a b U Graphics card
October 1, 2010 1:48:51 PM

You want to upgrade because you feel that you have AMD with SLI right?.Get a single more powerful card because AMD + SLI = fail.
I would choose a single Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC.It performs on par with a stock 5870.I think it costs 380$.
October 1, 2010 3:31:51 PM

Would switching to crossfire be better for AMD? or is AMD and any type of dual gfx card suck, i personally haven't had any type of problems with SLI in the past
a c 271 U Graphics card
October 1, 2010 4:03:36 PM

aeceo_91 said:
Would switching to crossfire be better for AMD? or is AMD and any type of dual gfx card suck, i personally haven't had any type of problems with SLI in the past

What hack are you running to get SLi on that board? Surely it does not do it natively?
October 1, 2010 6:25:16 PM

I hear crossfired 5770's really do the trick and a few retailers are now selling them in value pairs for just that reason. Would mean a new MB if your SLI at the moment tho. GTS450's have been released now and in SLI should do as good a job as 460's but for less cash.
a c 271 U Graphics card
October 1, 2010 6:27:41 PM

chrisiomuk said:
I hear crossfired 5770's really do the trick and a few retailers are now selling them in value pairs for just that reason. Would mean a new MB if your SLI at the moment tho. GTS450's have been released now and in SLI should do as good a job as 460's but for less cash.

SLi'd 450's get their butts handed to them by Xfired 5770's, they are no way comparable to the 460's.
October 2, 2010 3:45:48 PM

Mousemonkey said:
What hack are you running to get SLi on that board? Surely it does not do it natively?

I'm not running any hack that i know of intentionally. I thought the chip set on the board itself didn't matter as long as the cards were both compatible. They both show up in the nvidia control panel
a c 271 U Graphics card
October 2, 2010 10:03:10 PM

aeceo_91 said:
I'm not running any hack that i know of intentionally. I thought the chip set on the board itself didn't matter as long as the cards were both compatible. They both show up in the nvidia control panel

And do they run in SLi? Even if it shows as enabled have you checked by running with the SLi indicators on?
!