Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
my specs
AMD Phenom 9950 Agena 2.6GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor
4 gigs PC 8500 DRR2
OCZ StealthXStream OCZ500SXS 500W ATX12V / EPS12V Active PFC Power Supply
GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
no OC and I am using stock fans.

I currently have a 7800 GT Video card which runs fine with the games I play (L4D2, Oblivion) with the exception of SC2 in which the settings have to be lowered and even with that I am getting disconnected from bnet.

I am thinking about getting a new Video Card. Either the 5770 or the geforce 460 gtx. However, I know that the 460 has a high power consumption and high heat out put. With my PSU as it is would you recommend the 460 GTX?
Money is tight so I am saving for the deals on Black Friday to get this.

Solution
No, you can run GTX460 just fine on your PSU, you have a good PSU there, buddy... :)
GTX460 is faster than HD5770 and both of card are MUCH faster than 7800GT.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
wa1 is correct in that your PSU can service either of your choices. While your PSU meets the minimum requirements for both the 460GTX and the 5770, under heavy gaming you are going to stress the PSU as it powers your entire system. If it were me, I would upgrade my PSU at the same time I upgraded my GPU. Long term sustained stress on PSUs operating at or near their max shortens their lifespan.

You can't go wrong with either choice. Some of us prefer Nvidia and some AMD/ATI. I admit I am an AMD fanboy. Regardless, watch for a Black Friday combo deal that bundles the GPU of your choice with a solid 650W or better PSU (especially if you can find such a deal with free shipping) and make the buy.

Good luck!

You can install the GTX 460 in your PC as long as you do not overclock; otherwise you would place a higher load on your PSU than I would recommend. Your PSU will still be able to handle the load with overclocking, but I believe it would start to affect the overall life of your PSU.

Not sure why people are comparing the HD 5770 to the GTX 460 since the GTX 460's performance is closer to the HD 5830 than it is to the HD 5770. I suppose it's the price since I haven't been track that.

deweycd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
I would suggest you look at the cost. Pick the cheaper of the two cards and go with that should budget be a big issue. Both cards are good, the GTX 460 is better overall but yes does have have higher power/heat to deal with. You PSU will support either card but will be pushing the upper bounds of acceptable with the GTX 460. I would suggest the 5770 myself for cost, heat, and power.

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
thanks for all your answers.
I know the 460 is the better buy and it's my first choice but I was concerned that my tower would become an oven.

@COLGeek :
I have an old LCD monitor with a max resolution of 1024*786, this is going be an upgrade as well. There are some nice 20" for $100.

@jaguarskx :
The reason I am comparing the 5770 with the 460 is price. On Logicbuy.com the 5770 runs about $130 while the 460 sells for 460 $150, the 5830 sells for over the $200.

I do not intend to overclock right now, thanks for the warning.

Since the majority is going with wa1 he gets the props. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.