M5A99X & AMD Phenom 2 x4 cpu led

627PCFan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
I hope someone can shed some light. I ordered a PC kit. The MOBO is a Asus M5A99x and a AMD Phenom 2 x4 Black edition cpu. Since it arrived I get a CPU led light (solid) on the mobo during start up. I switched to a second CPU (identical) and same thing, so I figured it was a bad MOBO, I switched it with a new mobo and the LED is still lit. Can anyone give me any insight to continue troubleshooting? I cant get past POST so Im not sure where to go from here.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Breadboard it. Put the board on an insulated surface and connect the PSU 24 pin and 8 pin CPU cables. With just the processor/HSF, 1 stick of memory, and a video card installed, see if it can boot into BIOS.
If not, you can connect a motherboard speaker, listen for any beeps. Then go to your manual or the website and check what the beeps represent.

627PCFan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Got it figured out. The build came preconfigured for me with a Coolmaster V8 hanging off it. Guess it got jostled in shipping and broke something in the MOBO #1. When I pulled the MOBO #2 after it wouldn't work, I hadn't seated the processor right. Im up and running now. Thanks :)